Engine Hoist rear point?

I’ll be pulling the oil pan soon to install the windage tray and baffle. Since I have a hoist, and the driveshaft is disconnected for the fuel tank R&R, I figure picking up the motor is the easiest way to access the pan. So…the front point is pretty easy to find. Where to I attach the chain/balancer in the back of the motor? The Bentley manual is no help here.

Signed,
Clueless in Austin. :slight_smile:

There is a loop at the top rear corner on the drivers side of the block.

Thanks! I just poked around in there a little more thoroughly and found it.

What I have done since my XL hands don’t fit in there very well is to take a piece of 1/2" cold rolled steel rod and bend an U on the end. Bottom of U is about 2" long with a very short up leg on one side and a 12" up leg on the other. Weld chain to long leg. You’ll have to tweak the long leg a little to get it in and out easily, but you’ll be glad you did.

I use a stainless climbing carabiner to hook into the little back loop.

Every time I’ve pulled an engine in the past several years I’ve recalled that hook of yours fondly. I end up sprawled over the engine bay, fingers fighting a damned bolt thru chain, hole, and chain, get the washer on the other side and threading the damned nut on. And every time I think to myself, “Goddamned how Chuck’s hook made this easy. He hooks that lift point like gaffing a fish.”

Please oh please make me one of those engine hooks. You know I never breathed a word to anyone about that time I was nearly killed by your dog.

I’ll see what I can do. BTW, Patrick still remembers your pants fondly.

I get a lot of that.

Next time we’re drinking beer I’ll tell you the story of 2 weeks ago in Palm Springs. Wife and I were there on a 15th anniversary trip. I called around to a couple gyms to find a place with a cheap “day pass”. Wife went to the aerobic room and I went to the weight room. Place was called “WorkOUT”.

I really didn’t catch on until I paused and actually “looked” at the posters around the weight room. “Oh my”, I thought.

The further details of that misadventure require beer.

I get a lot of that.

Next time we’re drinking beer I’ll tell you the story of 2 weeks ago in Palm Springs. Wife and I were there on a 15th anniversary trip. I called around to a couple gyms to find a place with a cheap “day pass”. Wife went to the aerobic room and I went to the weight room. Place was called “WorkOUT”.

I really didn’t catch on until I paused and actually “looked” at the posters around the weight room. “Oh my”, I thought.

The further details of that misadventure require beer.[/quote]

Lol, that reminds me of a time in NYC that I was supposed to meet up with some friends at a bar that was later to become famous for being the set of Coyote Ugly. As it turned out it was a distinctly different type of bar then than what was featured in the movie… I did not stick around long.