electric fan

The spec E30 i bought has an aftermarket radiator in it, which i believe is larger than factory. There is currently no cooling fan and I would like to install an electric one, but I do not know where to start in choosing a fan. Bimmerworld seems to have only one fan for an e30, which is a pull type. I would prefer a push type to keep the fan farther from the motor, in case, you know, somehow the motor moves forward.

what have others done, and how are universal fans typically mounted? TIA.

I just bought an aftermarket SPAL pusher fan and mounted it in front of the radiator. Any electric fan should work.

Agree with Trackrat. Any pusher/puller fan will work. I have mine hooked up to a dash located switch.

how do they mount exactly since they are universal? do they come with hardware?

They use a zip tie looking thing that pushes through your radiator and locks the fan in place. REALLY easy to install!

Here are some pics of the setup I am using – which uses the ‘zip-tie looking things’ Ryan mentions

Front:

Inside:

Just wired to a manual switch inside.

A lot of folks just use the OEM Aux fan. Cheap and easy.

oh ok, interesting mount method, i guess you could do that with almost any fan. thanks for the replies guys :slight_smile:

The aux fan is a little heavy to be mounting directly to the radiator. Better to mount it to the radiator support and, if necessary, make a little cowl to encourage the air to go thru the radiator instead of anywhere it wants.

If you use the original aux fan, there are some european M3 brackets to mount the aux fan directly to the core support using captive 10mm body nuts and bolts. The M3’s over there didn’t have A/C (at least some of them), hence the direct mount. The dealer should be able to get them. Maybe Pelican too.

Parts 5 & 6 in this drawing.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1001&mospid=47266&btnr=17_0073&hg=17&fg=10

And your friends at e-bay can help you switch the fan on and off if you’re too focussed in the heat of battle to remember:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/electric-fan-controller

thanks for the help guys, i ended up grabbing a fan from gags, and a mount kit from BW.

btw, electrical is my thing so i’m going to hook it up to a manual switch, and also to a thermal switch in case i forget to turn it on, or if it gets hot while it’s parked after a session. i have plenty of electrical supplies :wink:

[quote=“ctbimmer” post=74145]If you use the original aux fan, there are some european M3 brackets to mount the aux fan directly to the core support using captive 10mm body nuts and bolts. The M3’s over there didn’t have A/C (at least some of them), hence the direct mount. The dealer should be able to get them. Maybe Pelican too.

Parts 5 & 6 in this drawing.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1001&mospid=47266&btnr=17_0073&hg=17&fg=10[/quote]

I deleted my A/C and went with this route (free, woohoo).

In theory the fan should kick on low when the temperature rises to some value and then go on high if it goes to some second value (ETM has the set points in it I believe).

The really nice thing though, IMO, is that it’s “pre-wired” – just hit the A/C button to turn the fan on. I removed the fan resistor and put a larger fuse on the low speed side so the fan goes to high speed when I hit the button. I use a fair bit in traffic (my car is still a DD…slowly becoming SE30).

when i bought my car it had no fan of any type. there is also no climate control pieces at all.

As long as your fan wiring is still present you could use my technique. I bought an electric fan and wired it into the aux fan’s power. I reversed it so that it kicks on full at the lower temp based on a post I saw on r3vlimited I think. It kicks on when it needs to, and it kicks off when it is done cooling the motor. It has worked flawlessly for about 4 years now.