Early engine into late chassis tips?

The enginge came out of an 87 and the chassis is an 88 (3/88). It appears there are differences in the wiring. Anyone have tips on how to reconcile them?

Just did that…converted an “e” to an “i”, same years. Was plug and play. Only thing to check carefully is whether or not a certain pin is grounded in the round connector on the firewall.

[color=#ff0000]Paging Jim Levie to the red courtesy phone, paging Jim Levei.[/color]

If you don’t have that problem (I did not) then the “i” harness plugged straight into the “e” chassis harness and we were off and running. No where near as much problem as I thought it was going to be. ’

On a side note, did your donor car come with ABS? When updating/backdating NASA is going to have to address cars that came from the factory without ABS. Retrofit is extremely unattractive.

Thanks. 325is so it has the ABS.

Doesn’t the 88 engine harness fit the 87 engine? What’s the difference Tstat sensors?

There’s a number of old posts, and maybe a thread or two, re. harness differences early to late. I’ve not personally played with this enough to know what guidance is correct and what is wivestale. I’ve gone thru a number of '87-90 harnesses w/o surprises but that’s just anecdotal and doesn’t prove anything.

Looking at a harness the only visual clue I can use to ID it’s model year is the O2 sensor. Late harness uses a round plug and early something different. At least that’s what I vaguely call the last time I puzzeled over this some years ago. It gets more complex because Jim Levie says there’s more (and important) differences between harness then just “early” vs. “late”.

As Chuck Baader suggested, Jim Levie is really the guru on this. My experiences with harness don’t synch with what Jim says, but that doesn’t make me right nor him wrong.

Fired up on the first try!

For future reference only 87 or earlier cars need special attention w/respect to the harness. Cars built from 9/87 will accept any harness from that date on. They will even run with an 87 harness, though the tachometer may not work.