Driveshaft loop

Finally got my car tech’d this weekend and had a couple questions. Both techs thought I needed a driveshaft loop, but there doesn’t seem to be anything in the CCR’s or spece30 rules covering this. There’s a lot of American iron folks down this way and I’m thinking they have that in mind? Is anyone running one of these? It seems to be a strap or chain across the transmission tunnel under the front of the driveshaft so if it gets spun loose it doesn’t pole vault the car.

Also, I thought I needed a coolent catch tank but the techs said it was fine because of the stock overflow setup. I’m thinking I still should do the catch?

Any thoughts or help appreciated.

No driveshaft loop is needed.

You need to run the small hose that comes out by the cap on the expansion tank into a container that is at least one liter.

thanks, the benefits of being the first car in the region right? :wink:

The techs were both super helpful, hoping I can talk them Ito fielding a car in the future as they seemed to be fans.

[quote=“turbo329is” post=62822]You need to run the small hose that comes out by the cap on the expansion tank into a container that is at least one liter.[/quote]To be exact, a “catch tank for radiator overflow” is what is required by the rules. The stock tank performs that function. If you plan on overheating the living sh!t out of your car, a one liter catch tank connected to your overflow tank may be a good idea. :stuck_out_tongue:

The stock reservoir is not a substitute for a catch tank. You need to run the tube from the top of the reservoir to a 1L or larger catch tank. The windshield washer tank is fine for this.

I’m using my windshield washer tank as it was real easy to get a brass fitting and screw it into the side and run a short hose from the expansion tank.

I am using the same setup.

The stock reservoir is not a substitute for a catch tank. You need to run the tube from the top of the reservoir to a 1L or larger catch tank. The windshield washer tank is fine for this.[/quote]
+1. Since the pressure relief is on the OEM reservior, it doesn’t serve as overflow. Something has to catch the fluid when the pressure relief allows fluid to exit the OEM reservior.

Helpful tip. Your coolant catch can double as your tranny overflow catch can. Just poke a hole in the top of the catch can such that if it gets entirely full of coolant, there’s no easy way for coolant to go down your hose into your tranny.

[quote=“Ranger” post=62840][quote=“jlevie” post=62834]
The stock reservoir is not a substitute for a catch tank.[/quote]
+1. Since the pressure relief is on the OEM reservior, it doesn’t serve as overflow. Something has to catch the fluid when the pressure relief allows fluid to exit the OEM reservior. [/quote]I stand corrected.

[quote]…to go down your hose into your tranny.[/quote]As evidence of my immaturity, I giggled when I read that.