Door panels -- carbon fiber?

As I understand, aluminum door panels can be used instead of stock, unless NASCAR bars are installed (no glass). What about carbon fiber instead of aluminum? Something like this:

http://www.performance-trim.com/product.php?product_id=6

Alex

[quote]13.23. Door panels may be replaced with 0.060-inch aluminum or comparable material,
securely attached to the door.[/quote]

I’d consider carbon a “comparable material” to aluminum for this application. They’re both non-ferrous :wink:

flipper325 wrote:

[quote]As I understand, aluminum door panels can be used instead of stock, unless NASCAR bars are installed (no glass). What about carbon fiber instead of aluminum? Something like this:

http://www.performance-trim.com/product.php?product_id=6

Alex[/quote]

This got debated a while back. The guidance we rec’d was something along the lines of “use some thin material and some common sense”. My door panels are plastic. If plastic is ok, CF is ok.

as long as it is unlikely that they will get broken and stab you with CF shards

Ranger wrote:

[quote]My door panels are plastic.[quote]

I’d think about what happens if there’s a major fire. That plastic’s gonna burn and hot melted burning plastic could get on your left side before you get out. Plus it’s not the easiest kinda fire to put out.

Aluminum won’t burn and get all over you.

Just my $.02 worth. :slight_smile:

rrroadster wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]My door panels are plastic.[quote]

I’d think about what happens if there’s a major fire. That plastic’s gonna burn and hot melted burning plastic could get on your left side before you get out. Plus it’s not the easiest kinda fire to put out.

Aluminum won’t burn and get all over you.

Just my $.02 worth. :)[/quote]

I am not attempting to convince anyone of the merits of using plastic. That’s what the OP put in and changing it isn’t a priority.

Thanks to all of you guys that replied!

I’d also consider carbon fiber comparable to 0.060" aluminum, both in terms of strength and fire retardancy. These panels are the same thickness: 1.5mm = 0.060" And when it comes to the dangers of fire, carbon fiber wouldn’t be used as extensively as it is in race car cockpits, if this were an issue.

With these panels being actually cheaper than aluminum ($145/pair vs. $200 for aluminum from Valley Motorwerks), I’m going to pull the trigger. Besides, they are prettier. B)

My company ships on pallets from England to the US all the time, so I’ll try to set up a group buy, in case others are interested. The manufacturer offers a 10% discount for 5 sets, and 15% discount for 10 sets. The discount should cover the cost of shipping.

Thanks again.

Alex

Or…

1. Buy some aluminum sheets off ebay (2 sheets for less than $50)
  2. Make a cardboard template of what the skin should be
  3. Cut the aluminum with a jigsaw
  4. Drill holes around the door frame/skin
  5. Rivet the skin to the door

Assuming you have the tools, you can do both doors for $50. It may not look as pretty, but will be pretty close (and more spec e30ish).

shifter11 wrote:

[quote]Or…

1. Buy some aluminum sheets off ebay (2 sheets for less than $50)
  2. Make a cardboard template of what the skin should be
  3. Cut the aluminum with a jigsaw
  4. Drill holes around the door frame/skin
  5. Rivet the skin to the door

Assuming you have the tools, you can do both doors for $50. It may not look as pretty, but will be pretty close (and more spec e30ish).[/quote]

Yep, I considered that. But there are so many other things on the car that I either have to do myself, or want to because sourcing it out would be too expensive, that paying a bit more here for a finished product isn’t too bad.

The amateur machinist’s motto: Why buy something for $10, when I can make it myself for $20. :slight_smile: Can’t tell you how often I have to plead guilty on this.