Dodge Ram's suck

I pull 7hrs tomorrow to VIR. I noticed that the Ram’s diff has been weeping a little fluid out of it’s drain plug for a couple weeks now, so I figured I’d check it out before the trip. I had the rear end replaced last Summer.

My first problem was that I couldn’t get the rubber plug pulled out. I figured that it formed some kind of dust cover for the drain bolt that would be behind it. If I pulled any harder on it, I’d tear it. So I got on a Dodge Forum and asked about it. That’s when it got better.

To my surprise the guys on the Dodge forum said that the rubber plug was the plug. There was no bolt underneath it. So the only thing holding my diff fluid in was drain plug on the order of a bathtup rubber stopper.

WTF, over? The rubber stopper is in the same location as the E30 diff drain plug. It’s splashed with fluid constantly. As it gets old the rubber gets hard and it doesn’t seal well. So the diff fluid starts weeping. Who the hell would design a major drive train component such that it’s lubrication load was held in by only by a bathtub stopper? I mean for god’s sake, was it just to expensive to design it for a big reliable threaded bolt?

Ultimately, I couldn’t find a replacement rubber stopper. Everyone in town needed a couple days to get one. So I put some RTV on it and popped it back in. POS.

Ranger wrote:

Sounds like it is fine for, say, 3 years or 36,000 miles.

As I was changing the window regulator in the nanny’s Jeep for the 2nd time in its 10-year life, I began to mourn the coming demise of Chrysler just a little less.

What year, make and model? I have an '04 1500. Hope I don’t have any problems after 2/2011. That’s when the extended warranty expires. It was 7 yrs/50k, and I only have about 25k on it.

'99 Ram 1500 5.9 liter gas. PO replaced the tranny and steering box. I replaced rear and and radiator. 135k mi. Engine’s next.

The worst thing is the interior plastic. As it aged it became incredibly brittle. Dash had to be covered because removing it broke out a piece the size of a dinner plate. Last week I put a 4" hole in an interior A piller trim piece trying to remove it to run some wiring. I have new door lock servo’s to replace the failed ones, but I don’t dare take the door panels off because they will crack in half.

There is not a Dodge Ram of this generation on the planet that has a dash in good condition. They are all busted up. Nice.

Sell your Ram and get a Ford or maybe a GM/Chevy.

:ohmy:

Mine must be a different generation. I don’t have any of those problems with dash/plastic. My dash is in perfect condition. The top of the steering wheel leather is a little rough from the sun, but other that that and some dirty areas around the handle of the door, interior is perfect. Mine is a '04, 5.7 hemi and no real problems…yet. But mine has low miles. I was thinking about trading it in for a Silverado. I would never, ever buy a Ford.

My truck is 2nd gen ('94-'01). '02-'09 is 3rd gen. 4th gen this year. I’m sure Chrysler’s design philosophy is completely different now .

They probably didn’t change thier philosophy and I’m not disagreeing with you. That bathtub stopper thing has got me wondering. I’m just sayin that I have not experienced any of the issues that you are dealing with. Who knows? PO likely beat the balls off of the truck and you cannot be certain if it was maintained properly, unless you have records…Just sayin’. I bought mine new and have maintained it meticulously.

135mi, you’ve surpassed the manufactured life expectancy by 3x… :wink:

not trying to start a fire storm here, but I avoid Dodge products like the plague,

That said:
I am A Ford Truck Faithful, but

My Current Tow Vehicle is a 1994 Chevy 2500 6.5l Diesel, It has 300,000 miles on it and is on its 2nd transmission, it has been a Work truck used for towing its entire life, No real issues other than the trans and the interior is beat to hell.

My Last work Van(~2004) was a 1993 Dodge 2500 Full size van with 300,000 + Miles on it, I only had it for a year, but ran fine, but the rust worm was killing it.

About 100 years ago Travis Wilson was bidding cars for me at a salvage auction, one of the vehicles on my list was a 79 Dodge 1 ton extended body conversion van, green/white 2 tone with green shag carpet, wrecked with 111k on it, I got the truck for $325 or so, proceeded to tow with it for 4 years and 100k plus miles, had to replace the alternator and a few fuel filters. The biggest problem with it was it had 2 sunroofs which both leaked due to sasquatch walking around on top of it during a Jimmy Buffet tailgate party. The carpet rotted, also the passenger door never opened so my dates had to climb over the drivers seat.

Never had much luck with Ford or GM vans…

Al

Al- you forgot to finish the story

“…and that was the nicest car I ever owned”

FARTBREF wrote:

Lucky for you, those underage girls are limber. :laugh:

Interesting topic since I’m looking for a new for me, used tow truck, and I love the Ram 3500 dually, but they are hard to find, so here is the dilemma. If Dodge Ram 3500 is such a bad working/towing truck why is there such a big demand for them?
I’ve been searching used car websites, and Rams don’t last too long. On the other hand, there are plenty of Ford 350.
Could it be because of production levels?
BTW, I have an auction nearby, and the majority of towing trucks hauling 3-4 cars in open trailers are Rams 3500, so what gives?

Simply put, they are good trucks, period.

My tow vehicle is an '04 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi with factory tow package, 20" wheels, premium sound, etc, etc…aka ‘loaded’. It did just need an alignment, but other than that, just the regularly scheduled maintenance. As with just about any vehicle, if you take care of it and don’t beat the balls off it, it will give you years of good service. Personally, I think Fords are THE worst POS out there, Chevy’s are somewhat better IMHO. It is a matter of preference…and experience, i guess. I never had any luck with Ford.

My Ram has 25k on it. YES, that’s 25,000 miles. I have a work vehicle, so I don’t drive it every day. Good thing, since it only gets about 11-12 mpg (ymmv). It is serviced regularly and is in excellent condition. The work truck is a base model’06 Ram 1500 with 50k, which has been trouble free also. This is a construction vehicle so it takes a real beating on the jobsites. Every vehicle has its own set of stengths and weaknesses.

The Ram set a new standard many years ago with more hp, towing capacity and a bold new look that all the other manufacturers are TRYING to copy. I would not think twice about buying another Ram. If you like the Ram…I’d go for it.

If there weren’t people who liked vehicles by different mfr’s, there would be only one! Thankfully, we have choices. Usually, people feel quite strongly about thier trucks and there is a loyalty component as well.

Diesel trucks are an entirely different subject.

BTW, I tow my car to the track and a 27’ Shasta travel trailer with it. Also haul building materials when needed.

I see this thread breaking down into a battle of truck manufacturers. My feelings that are this day in age all the manufacturers are about equal in quality. Sometimes you get good ones and sometimes you get bad ones. If you are looking to buy an older truck then check the forums devoted to them and see what common issues are. I love my new Tundra and it got 13.5 MPG towing my trailer and E30 going 80 on the Interstate. Gets 19 MPG driving me to work.

Well, I want the biggest truck like a 350 or 3500 diesel dually so I can add a camper and I can take the family outdoors.
I love the Tundra, wish they would make them dually and diesel.
I don’t think there is a “perfect” vehicle, just what suits you and you can afford.