Disintegrated clutch

I haven’t seen one do this before. After removing the transmission, I found that the outer 50mm of the friction disc was simply gone. It was part of an oil/friction disc slurry coating the inside of the bell housing. The flywheel surprisingly looks okay with no grooves worn in it from clutch fingers yet. Anyone seen this before? I haven’t found the source of the oil leak yet.

Yep, I’ve seen that exactly. There are little bits of fiber all over the bell housing and greasy debris everywhere. In my case the front seal on the transmission was, over time, getting enough oil on the disc to make it slip like crazy which led to its demise soon after.

Yup, travis had one do that at Atl, we thought it was a china made disc…

Al

Were you able to identify the leak? The input shaft wobbles around a few mm and the bearing makes a racket but this is apparently standard fare for the E30. I have a new shaft seal on order. The pressure plate says it’s a Sachs.

We killed a brand new Sachs clutch in about half a day. Apparently you are supposed to break them in like brake pads. We stripped all of the friction material off of the pressure plate side.