Daytona Lies and Videos thread

We had a blast.

My racing sucked, but the Friday and Saturday night festivities were awesome.

Friday night we went to some brewpub restaurant that had terrific beer and a great chow menu. It was right across the street from the track. There had to be 20 of us there. We did get a bit loud I fear. Next time we should go outside, wx permitting. We were laughing and hollering for hours. Everyone owes Sandro for picking up the tab.

Sandro also got everyone awesome plaques that say “I didn’t win, but I did chase a Mexican.” Hilarious. We’re lucky to have you Sandro.

After Saturday’s race a bunch of us put on costumes for the awards ceremony. Unsurprisingly, at least half of the folks in costume were SpecE30…We being the fun-makers of NASA. The hijinks between Ryan’s US Border Patrol outfit and Sandro were hilarious. Aaron won best costume for his appalling “Camille Toe.”

Saturday night we went to some bar/restaurant named “The North Turn” or something like that. Recall that NASCAR started by racing on the beach at Daytona. They’d zoom up the beach, take the North Turn and then zoom back down towards the South turn. We were at the North Turn. Once again we had a zillion people and more kept arriving. Sandro got stuck with a $200 bill so if you didn’t pay your share, find him at RA.

I was dragged out to the dance floor for the first time in prob a decade. Apparently it only requires 5 beers. I was soon targeted by a pair of 60 something gals determined to celebrate Halloween in memorable fashion. As part of the courtship, they had critical comments re. my dancing. Kinda nonstandard way to get into a guy’s shorts, but a fair appraisal.
The way they pawed at me made me feel so…cheap.

One 60-something, with both hands clutching my shirt, turned to her wingman and said “I’m going to < > this one hard.” It wasn’t said in a silly tone, it was one of total resolve. I only barely heard it, so I thought sure that I’d gotten it wrong. But all the other E30 types on the dance floor heard it just fine, and once the howls of laughter died down, they moved in and repeated the statement to make sure I knew what I was in for.

Thanks to Lynn, a PA based E30 type that paddocked with us, for attempting a rescue.

Ultimately it didn’t work out with the ladies. The paddock is secured by a 10’ chainlink fence and I was unable to boost the ladies over it.

The very generous Whitingers fed everyone lunch. It’s really wonderful of them to do this event after event. I hope everyone is effusively thanking them, particularly Melissa.

Finish order on BOTH DAYS was Ryan, Sandro, & Alex. The Border Patrol was victorious.

I had a blast during the races but I didn’t do very well. I just wasn’t on my game. I had problems judging braking points and like a complete Novice, I did not successfully adjust. I kept getting overwhelmed by optimism. “Sure, it didn’t work when I started braking at the 1 Marker last lap, but maybe it will work this time.” Also, the infield corners are not as fast as they look. I kept trying to take them too fast and the front end would just wash out and I’d have to slow way up to avoid going off-track. In both races I lost many places on the last darn lap by completely hosing turn 1. So it was fun, but I’m kinda embarrassed by how poorly I drove.

It was terrific of NASA to fly Shawn Meze’ out. He got to race in Laura’s car and I think Sandro’s car too. SE SpecE30 is the largest group in NASA so it was good that Shawn got to see first-hand the kind of fun and personalities that have made it successful.

Nice report, sorry to have missed it.
Race results and there should be quite a points battle for the SE top 3 positions?

RP

My weekend was definitely a really good day followed by a shitty one, completely self-inflicted.

Although I was present at Daytona last November I didn’t race, so this was first time racing there. The Saturday race was just a total blast, alternating between benefiting from the draft and then being hosed by it. The bus stop is just a different stage of madness each lap, as it seems one never enters it alone. I can’t remember all the position changes, but I started P6/finished P7 so it all pretty much netted out.

Sunday was a complete CF. In quals I ran wide at T5 (last right hander in the infield), thought I had it under control but didn’t and came back on track. Zawrotny saw this and tried to shift over to the right but couldn’t quite get by. Some sheet metal and a torn up bumper/tail light on his car. Totally my fault.

In the race, I was trying to back it down and stay of out scrums (I saw a few around me) and Sunday’s race was also a ton of fun but eventually I overcooked T1, made it past apex and tank-slapped track left into wall that separate pit out from track. Another 2 feet and I might have gotten away with it. Damn that concrete is unforgiving, it didn’t feel that hard but pushed entire back end of car a few inches to the right. Not sure if can be pulled straight or needs ass-ectomy but either way is not how I wanted to spent time/$ this winter. Alignment is definitely whacked but not sure yet if just trailing arm/subframe or if key body points moved.

All I had was the little point and shoot with me this weekend.

Only made it to the Sunday race.

Great pics Jim, wtg!

You guys are being kinda lame re. stories and videos. Come on boys, those are key to increasing our fame worldwide re. Speednews. Post the stories and videos!

Also, go check out the pics at AWOL PHOTO. They have lots of great ones.

Contingency awards for PTS and UUC
PTS Chuck Taylor
UUC $25 gift certificate Olivier Bellanger (2), Brian Edmonds, Walter Araya (2), Chris Harkins