Dash out. What to remove?

So I just pulled the bolt in cage and dash out of my future Spec E30 car tonight and I’m like a kid on Christmas morning. I want to just rip everything out but I wanted to get the thoughts of some of you guys before I take out too much.

Things I don’t need

1. Turn signals
  2. Hazards
  3. Anything stereo related
  4. Vent ducting
  5. Cruise control related wiring
  6. Power window switches - Either I can operate them using a hex socket or I may pull the windows completely.
  7. Gauge cluster wiring - I’m going to get gauges and/or a Traqdash so that allows me to pull all of that out.
  8. Horn wiring - Most of this is already gone because I ran into an issue a few years ago where the horn would blare every time I turned the steering wheel more than a few degrees.

Things I need to keep

1. Front/rear light switch
  2. Heater related wiring if I decide to leave the heater core
  3. Wiper wiring

Things I’m torn on/unsure of

1. Heater core - I’m currently out in the LA area (I moved from Indiana in February) but I may return in the future. How hard would it be to reinstall?
  2. ABS - Most likely going to leave this for now
  3. The sound deadening/insulation near the fire wall - Is this legal to remove?

I didn’t take all that wiring out. Lopping off wires can be problematic; sometimes circuits continue through things you wouldn’t expect, and then you’ve got problems.

My heater core is gone after the SECOND one leaked on my foot while on track. Unless you buy a brand new one, they are so old they can’t be trusted. I don’t need hot water on my throttle foot. I had left the blower fan and A/C evap unit in mine because the heater had still been hooked up but this year’s work will hopefully add complete removal of all of that junk in the continued quest to remove weight.

ABS? You’re nuts not to keep it. You can just install a manual on/off switch for it.

I’m pretty sure the firewall insulation is a permitted removal, but still have mine.

I wouldn’t consider it legal to remove any part of the abs system.

Active check system is the biggest amount of useless wires.

I wish I would have kept those plastic front window ducts in place when I had the cage built.

You really need to consult the rules as far as what you can and cannot remove.

Do NOT remove the ABS system.
You will need to retain the brake lights. (they must work)

Much if the sub systems come out really easy. (Cruise control, power windows ect. they all unplug.)

If is does not look like a race car, take it out. It allows you to add weight in a more favorable area. Remove wiring, too, to items legal to remove.

[quote=“turbo329is” post=76987]I wouldn’t consider it legal to remove any part of the abs system.

I wish I would have kept those plastic front window ducts in place when I had the cage built.[/quote]

I thought you could remove ABS?

1.3. Only modifications specifically authorized are allowed; and competitive adjustments are not allowed. Other than the modifications specifically allowed in these Rules, every part of the car must remain as it came from the factory.

3.2. If the Regulations do not specifically permit a modification, it may not be made.

[quote=“MrDomino” post=76998][quote=“turbo329is” post=76987]I wouldn’t consider it legal to remove any part of the abs system.

I wish I would have kept those plastic front window ducts in place when I had the cage built.[/quote]

I thought you could remove ABS?[/quote]

Quote the rule that you feel allows you to remove the ABS. The key to reading the SpecE30 rules is as mentioned above, if it doesn’t say you can, you can’t.

So I dug through the rule book and you’re right - it’s not in there. Huh. I could have sworn I was talking to a few guys at Mid Ohio about taking it out.

I believe the rules used to include chassis produced before ABS was available, making ABS “optional”. Now the rules only allow chassis that came with ABS.