Custom cage advice, extras...?

This is my first experience trying to get “race legal.”

Car has a rollbar installed by Bimmerworld a couple years ago, and I’m planning to have this reputable cagebuilder start with this, and build out the front. I’m dropping the car off this weekend, and planning to also get the following extras:

1. window net mounting tabs(?)
  2. right side net mounting tabs(?)
  3. seat mount (Corbeau race seat currently on sliders)
  4. seat brace
  5. dead pedal

Is there anything else I should make sure gets done?

I haven’t bought any of the nets or annything else… do I need have any actual items for him to do these extra fabrications?

I’d appreciate any advice.

Here’s a good thread to review.

http://spece30.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,94/func,view/id,38881/catid,9/limit,10/limitstart,0/

My personal preference is to have all the parts in hand (nets, seat, etc.) so you can have the add-ons done right the first time. I don’t know which seat you have, but you DON’T want to add a brace to every seat. There are long-running arguments about the requirement to add a seat back brace after the expiration date (CCR 15.6.22). I personally think that a composite seat that wasn’t designed to have a brace could be made more hazardous by adding one. But I’m no engineer.

Steve D.

Gilles wrote:

[quote]Is there anything else I should make sure gets done?

I haven’t bought any of the nets or annything else… do I need have any actual items for him to do these extra fabrications?

I’d appreciate any advice.[/quote]

1. Tabs to mount the sunroof (if you “delete” the sunroof)
  2. Dash bar
  3. Tab to mount the hood release & ABS computer (if dash bar interferes with factory mounts)
  4. Foot protection (drivers side or both if DE’ing the car)

If I think of more, I’ll add to the list. I didn’t read DeVinney’s link… I’ve read it before I’m sure and don’t remember what it was about (or care for that matter). Research is for nerds, like him. Just keep asking questions. It’s way simpler.

Lastly, have all of the final parts… especially the seat. The rest can be made to work but seat position and dimensions are integral to the cage design.

Think about having them weld a bracket on the A-pillar to hold the kill switch. Mine is on the passenger side and I don’t have a driver-accessible way to kill it.

In hindsight I wish I’d run it that way and may redo it over the winter.

Thanks all.
I think my sunroof is already tabbed, bolted and sealed up nicely so nothing to do there. The seat I have is a corbeau forza that is a few years old, so rules say I need the brace. Unfortunately, I don’t have ABS, :frowning: but I guess I don’t have to worry about the ABS computer mount.

So taking the advice so far my list is now:

1. window net mounting tabs(need to get net and hardware)
  2. right side net mounting tabs(need to get net)
  3. fixed driver seat mount (remove sliders)
  4. seat brace
  5. dead pedal
  6. driver side A-pillar bracket for kill switch
  7. dash bar
  8. driver and passenger foot protection (?)
  9. tabs to mount hood release if dash bar interferes with factory mount

I’m adding the driver and passenger foot protection to the list because it sounds good, but honestly, I don’t know what this is…can someone explain? :unsure:

Also, I’m now thinking I’ll call Discovery Parts and have them ship a pkg. of window net stuff (leaning towards the GF mesh), side net (simpson looks good), and a kill switch to the shop where I’m getting this done.

Let me know if you think of other stuff or if any of this is unnecessary.

By "foot protection, I think Craig means additional tubes that run from the side/front hoop legs forward to the firewall. Those tubes will minimize intrusion of the wheel and tire in a front impact.

Read the spec on backing plates and make sure they are all correct. You can get that fixed while he is in there as well. For that matter, read the whole spec and make sure everything else is as it should be.

ctbimmer wrote:

[quote]Think about having them weld a bracket on the A-pillar to hold the kill switch. Mine is on the passenger side and I don’t have a driver-accessible way to kill it.

In hindsight I wish I’d run it that way and may redo it over the winter.[/quote]

As an alternative, you can use a fire bottle cable (http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2450) to pull the kill switch. My kill switch is located on the main hoop on the passenger side, which seems to be a preferred position. All the stock wiring is on that side, so the cable is arguably cheaper than having to run heavy gauge wire over to the driver A pillar.

Other than the structural rigidity of the main hoop and easy access through the passenger window, does anyone know why so many cars (in general - not just SE30) have the switch in that location?

Steve D.

PS - Since getting down to minimum weight was not an issue, I added extra bars from the windshield header back to the main hoop for rollover protection.

PPS - Having the seat mounted in the car will help you position the harness bar at the correct height for proper belt angle. Don’t forget to wear your HANS when fitting because it will change the belt angle slightly.

Your cage builder should be able to advise you. Be sure to start with the seat and then build around it. If you plan on sharing the car in enduros, etc. keeping the sliders should be considered.

+1 on having the seat on sliders - but FIA (not the OEM sliders).

I was thinking that the seat brace would not work with a seat on sliders.
I guess I may not be visualizing the seat back brace correctly…?

Many folks use a round bar that slides inside a collar attached to the cage cross-bar. A bolt in that collar secures the brace. As long as the collar and the path of the sliders are parallel, it will work.

I personally like a composite seat without a brace because they are designed to flex slightly and absorb some crash energy.

Turns out my seat was just for show, not really for go, so I went ahead and blew the budget with a new racetech 4009WHR… also splurged for the VAC mounts. In the end it all turned out nice because Kirk Racing in Mt. Olive,AL did an excellent job for a very reasonable price.
Of course now that I have this nice throne, I need to make some progress as a driver… seems like I was 2 sec/lap slower at RdAtl last weekend (only a guess because no timing allowed in DE).

Gilles wrote:

Good call. I don’t think you will regret spending the money on a really good halo seat.

Really? I guess I broke the rules in 3/4 at CMP. I think timing should be prohibited in 1/2, but video showing the driver’s inputs should be required. Learn ‘smooth’ and ‘fast’ will follow.

Steve D.

Gilles wrote:

[quote]Turns out my seat was just for show, not really for go, so I went ahead and blew the budget with a new racetech 4009WHR… also splurged for the VAC mounts. In the end it all turned out nice because Kirk Racing in Mt. Olive,AL did an excellent job for a very reasonable price.
[/quote]

Very good call. I talked to Jim Levie last night and he could not express enough his desire to switch to a halo seat after last weekends activities.

I have the Racetech halo and I think it is an awesome seat. I switched from a Recaro Pole Position that was comfortable but not a good ‘race’ seat.

One thing to keep in mind, at least in my car, the halo ‘wings’ make entering and exiting a bit difficult.

If you’re a man of ample size, consider a removalable steering wheel almost a necessity. Or sign up for yoga classes.

IndyJim’s inflexibility extends to his physical being too? I thought it was just his personality. :blink: :laugh:

Steve D.

Yeah, with the cage bars and the halo, I’m realizing I need to work on my flexibility. It is definitely a tough entry and exit, especially with my short legs forcing a forward seat, and a steering wheel that has a deep dish… quick release is in my future.

Gilles wrote:

[quote] Unfortunately, I don’t have ABS, :frowning: …[quote]

Uhhh, I think you need to check the rules closer.

http://spece30.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,94/func,view/id,30896/catid,3/limit,10/limitstart,0/

http://spece30.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,94/func,view/id,27977/catid,3/limit,10/limitstart,0/

I’m not trying to shoot you down, just sharing with you what I’ve experienced on the subject.

KB