Current state of the HPDE tire?

It turns out I desperately need some tires for my HPDE-2 E30, since my current ones are delaminating, and wanted to get input from the experienced folks on here as to what I should consider. I was leaning towards the Dunlop Direzza DZ102 because it looks cheap and cheerful enough. Treadware rating 460. $70 each.

Keep in mind that my first set was a “well-loved” set of ECSTA ASX, and I don’t know the tread rating on them, but they were pretty knackered when I got them with the car. I have been through two events, Barber and NOLA, and they are apparently beyond shot. I assume the Dunlops are a move up performance-wise, and I have been told by many not to go straight to the RRs, though I already have a set of new heat-cycled ones from Tire Rack. So I will continue to resist the temptation for now.

What I want is a set of tires that are fairly durable, 200+ treadware, affordable (because I am learning and am going to abuse them), but aren’t total crap.

Suggestions?

I would recommend Dunlop Direzza ZII. They are rated at 200 and they last a LONG time. I did all my DEs with those on the focus. Definitely restrain from going to slicks. They will hide your mistakes in DE and you want the tire squawk feed back.

I looked into the specs of my current tires for comparison’s sake, and found they have a tread wear rating of 420, so the DZ102 I mentioned might actually be a small step backwards towards a harder tire. I do think something a bit grippier would be a positive step, so I am leaning towards the Direzza ZIIs at this point. My only current point of reference is that my wife’s and son’s cars both have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on them, and those are tread wear rated at 300. They seem pretty darn grippy, but I haven’t pushed them hard enough on the street to find their limits, and don’t expect to have the opportunity to safely do that. If they were in my size, I’d just get those, but no such luck.

I’ve got a tirerack commercial account. Pm me on facebook and I’'ll get you a quote.

I run Falkin 615k on my ChumpCar e30. They grip well, last well, and are cheap. Very progressive with good feedback. Descent in the rain.

I have bunches of toyo rr take offs for sale.

I used Z2s on my last couple of DEs. They were my sutox tires and at the last DE they were heat cycled out for autox but worked fine for the DE.
I’m curious about running the DZ102s on the track since I’ve replaced the star specs with RE-71rs and plan to use them only for autox. My daily tires are the DZ102 and am wondering if they would be grippy enough for HPDE3 in a stockish E30.

I am planning on going with ZIIs closer to the time my car is back from the builder. Hopefully next month. My rationale vs the 102s is that the 102s are less grippy than the tires I just wore out, and they weren’t all that great in the first place, so I think I am better off with the ZII. If it helps, my car has a one piece containment seat with six point harness, and will have a full cage and camber plates, plus Spec E30 springs/shocks, so the balance is now probably tilted more towards full race car than stock. Don’t have a fire system yet, or QR steering system, or nets, but hopefully later this year. I digress a little, but the point was to explain why going with the DZ102 wasn’t a good choice for me. In my case, I see the ZIIs as a stepping stone to the full Monty RRs I will eventually be using.