Crankscraper clearance on crank weights

What kind of clearance are you guy’s seeing with Chuck’s I-J crankscraper on your crank weights?

My shop installed the I-J crankscraper after I lost my first set of bearings in early 08. As a result I didn’t see any details of the install back then. But now that I’m building up my new bottom end I’m surprised to see that there is 1/4 to 1/2" of clearance between my old crankscraper and crank counterweights. That seems like a lot of clearance. Your thoughts?

sounds like huge gaps compared to our two all-metal units. for our two cars we had to lightly shave the scraper for more lateral clearances and we had to bend the scraper tabs to clear the weights a tiny bit. We were surprised his manufacturing process was not precise enough to clear the rotating parts in every instance.

Chuck has instructions posted on the website I think. I’m surprised by that large of a gap. When mine was put on I was told it needed to be trimmed to a close fit, makes me think 1/16" or so, not a 1/2".

I had to grind/file 4 different places for clearance. The gap was quite small afterwards.

OriginalSterm wrote:

Ditto.

RP

Just installed an Ireland scraper. Did not require any trimming except near the oil pump mount.

I just installed an I-J yesterday. The instructions call for a 1mm (~0.040)clearance. Bare in mind that you need to account for axial movement of the crank, so you might wind up with a little more than the 1mm.

My I-J required no trimming for the front tabs. I had direct rub on a couple of the middle counter weights. After a bit of filing and a second test fit, I had about 4 that needed additional filing down. The counter weights weren’t perfectly true on their sidewalls, so you had to watch each one while you rotated the engine. Also my bearings are new and I couldn’t seem to find/feel any axial play, so I made sure my clearances would account for potential axial travel.

I also had to tweak some of the vertical(bent) scraper blades. The last one rubbed directly on the counter weight. Some of the ones in the front had about 1/4" clearance, so I tweaked for a .060 -.090 gap. I wouldn’t be surprised if they vibrate and have some incidental contact at higher revs, so I didn’t have a warm fuzzy about 1mm.

Some of my horizontal scraper edges towards the front had about 1/8" clearance - not much you can do about that.

Final tweaking was required for the bolt holes on the LHS of the scraper. They were a bit snug and difficult to get the screw through. About 3-4 strokes with a rat tail file on the outside of each hole/slot solved the problem.

rrroadster that was good info, thx. I’ll be doing the same sort of thing Wed I think.