Crank Scraper

I’m at the point in my build where I’m starting the motor work.

I’ve been looking at the various crank scrapers and need some opinions.

I think I’m set on the Ishihara-Johnson dual crank scraper design. However I want to know if the teflon option is worth it.

Anyone familiar with these?

Thanks in advance

Paul

the crank scraper helps but doesnt solve the issue. Contact Poore Sports about his new oil pan, its sweet.

Andrew, Thanks for the tip. I have had a few conversations with Paul - very helpful - and I’m sure the pan is the way to go. Unfortunately, I’m not sure I can fit it in the budget for this year.

It may turn out to be a false economy (not going with the pan) but I’m hoping it won’t be :dry:

• 10 for the paul poore pan. I’m getting one.

Yep, Paul’s pan is a real piece of work. I don’t yet have mine installed, but it and a crank scraper should pretty much eliminate oil starvation in corners. However at $500+ per copy it isn’t an inexpensive solution.

A teflon lines IJ type scraper can be fitted closer to the crank than a plain steel type. But either works well and is a big improvement over nothing.

An advantage of the teflon scraper is that you don’t have to remove so much material to make it fit properly. But whichever one you get, make sure that the trap doors swing freely.

I installed an Accusump for <$200, you just have to find a used one or a good sale. They use steel and/or brass hydraulic fittings instead of anodized aluminum. Al (Rackeu) did it even more inexpensively because he piped his sump into the block’s oil pressure port vs. using a remote oil filter adapter like I did.

Paul’s oilpan is probably the more elegant solution. The problem with the oilpan is that it doesn’t give you any additional hoses, fittings, nor places for sensors and pressure/temp switches. All it gives you is simplicity. It’s so dull it’s making my eyes glaze over just thinking about it.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]
Paul’s oilpan is probably the more elegant solution. The problem with the oilpan is that it doesn’t give you any additional hoses, fittings, nor places for sensors and pressure/temp switches. All it gives you is simplicity. It’s so dull it’s making my eyes glaze over just thinking about it.[/quote]

Not true. the latest version has a fitting for an oil temp guage.

Whats the link to PPP?

I have the Paul pan sitting in my garage and on the To Do list for the next few weeks. Does anyone feel I should also go the crank scraper route in addition or is that overkill. The pan seems like it will work on its own. Once the pan is in I don’t feel like pulling it again in the near future.

Is there a web site for Paul???

apexM3 wrote:

no. best to give him a call. someone (chuck?) had posted pics of the pan on a previous thread though. i’ve seen it in person and it looks impressive. paul didn’t think running a scraper in conjunction with the pan was neccessary. you may or may not want to run an accusump depending on how paranoid you are about OP at startup.

apexM3 wrote:

[quote]Is there a web site for Paul???

apexM3 wrote:

Paul doesn’t have a website. He’s not much for email either. He’s a phone person.

Andrew, re. sensors on the oil pan. I was just kidding around, as usual.

Mahoney, last year I talked to a number of guys involved in custom oil pans and crankscrapers. One of the things that came out of those conversations was a better awareness for the churning maelstrom that is the bottom end of our motors. It was described to me as an insane hurricane, where in the absense of something to create a “still oil volume”, most of the oil in a race car engine would be flying around and not in the pan. I don’t think that Paul’s pan is designed to reduce that “churning maelstrom”. That gives the scraper a key role to play.

after a while of searching, I found the post with the pic of Paul’s oil pan

http://spece30.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,94/func,view/id,42366/catid,16/limit,10/limitstart,20/#42407

bruce

Thanks…

kishg wrote:

However Chuck Baader does. For $88 it’s a small piece of insurance. We are going with both.

(Paul Poore - Poore Sports 215-766-2555)
pooresports@verizon.net

I didn’t realize so many guys were running this. I’m assuming everyone is paying the same. Can someone post how much the pan costs?

I don’t remember exactly but it was around 500. I try to forget cost like this as quickly as possible.

I spoke to Paul this week and he said you will not need to run the scraper with the pan and can even run 7 qts which puts the oil at the low end of the dipstick with no issues.

I am going to give it a tray w/o the scraper and see how it goes.

Jason

$540 IIRC. Have one on order, supposed to be ready end of Jan. There is some lead time involved because he only builds a couple at a time.

yup, tray, no scraper is how i’m going as well.