Control Arm Replacement

Probably going to replace my front control arms when I get my wrecked car back from the shop. They’ve never been replaced in 5 years and it took a pretty good front-end whack.

Do most folks recommend the offset E30 M3 bushing for rear of the control arm? Much difference in using a delrin or similar over the stock rubber bushing. I noticed Turner sells a Delrin bushing pre-pressed into the lollipop bracket.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Keith

Keith,

We have the delrin offset in both of our cars. We had the M3 offset, but the delrin is stiffer. There should be a screw that you need to put through a hole drilled in the lillipop to keep it from spinning. These should be set up so the hole is toward the outside, which provides maximum caster.
Ed

Been running the rubber stock M3 bushings for 3 years, but they will need replacing soon, Then I will be going with AKG. We do keep an extra set of lollipops around, and make sure to get our bushing pressed in before we start work.

The AKG bushings are a pretty easy insertion, but for any brand of offset bushing, you should drill a hole into the steel on the opposite from from the offset hole and put in a 3/4 inch metal screw to lock the bushing from rotating.

We used the Delrin bushings from bimmerworld. If you put them in the freezer for 30 mins they will tap right in. You want to drill, tap and install a set screw in the lollipop to keep bushing from rotating. Ours was already done(thanks Ken!) Install the bushing with the flange facing the front of the car. Good luck

ctbimmer wrote:

Somebody should add that mod to the rules.

I just drilled a hole and put a large self tapping screw in to it.
bruce

SGrace wrote: