Cherry Bomb Vs. ???

Okay, here’s another question to pepper you guys with as I dream about building rather than actually wrenching. I know Carter has some Cherry Bomb glass packs on his car. I, too, would like to make some noise (i.e. burn some money!), so I was wondering if anyone has heard any other types of glass packs on a 325? Advance Auto Parts around the corner sells Thrush–has anyone every heard one? Any thoughts on what sounds "cool?"

Sasha

Good God - I feel like I’m back in high school! A friend of mine had thrush’s on his old firebird. Aaah - the good old days… BTW - I guess I have no useful information to post in regard to your question as to how they would sound on an E30.

:laugh:

I should be getting a magnaflow put on my car (& cats removed) later this week.

If it is the type that has ridges that stick down into the flow of the exhaust, they create a back pressure above what you would imagine.

If it is straight thru with only perforations it will be better.

Try it with cats only and straight pipes. You may like it.

I’ve heard the same thing about the glasspacks with ridges (or louvers) that stick down and create too much backpressure. I actually ordered a couple from RacerPartsWholesale, and they were this kind - I returned them. I have since ordered the Thrush’s from Summit Racing, and am waiting to install.

Vic,

I’ll be eager for an update on how the Thrush’s sound. I cannot wait to release my Inner Idiot, which is really what this whole project is about. At 35 I’m already scrambling to reclaim my youth!

Sasha

Thrushes are way old Skool. I’ll be doing something similar on my car as well.

sdais wrote:

[quote]
I should be getting a magnaflow put on my car (& cats removed) later this week.[/quote]

Done. Sounds great. I haven’t heard any M20’s with glasspacks, but I would recommend this setup.

sdais wrote:

[quote]sdais wrote:

[quote]
I should be getting a magnaflow put on my car (& cats removed) later this week.[/quote]

Done. Sounds great. I haven’t heard any M20’s with glasspacks, but I would recommend this setup.[/quote]

I have a magnaflow and love the sound. And it is quieter than the glass pack option for those who might run it on the street.

-Steve

I will still be driving around on the street and don’t want to piss everyone off. Do you think your Magnaflow set-up will be loud enough for you to hear yourself on the track and get a little auditory feedback? My stock e36 M3 was way too quiet on the track and I found myself wanting a little throttle position feedback via the tail pipe.

Sasha

After racing at Phoenix Int’l Raceway this weekend, I can confidently say that you will definitely be able to hear your car on the track with the magnaflow sans cat setup. It’s not obnoxious, but unless you were an avid death metal groupie in your teenage years you won’t have any trouble hearing your car.