Cheap Radiator upgrade

Hey guys,
Any idea on what is involved in converting the older style (pre-89) cars over to the newer style cooling system?

I’m been eye-balling this cheap radiator upgrade:
http://www.nexternal.com/bimmerworl/Product657

With the added cooling, you could ditch the mechanical fan…Most people will give their left nut for 1-2 HP…I won’t comment on what I would do.

Thanks in advance!
-Vic
SO #325

Vic:

I’m throwing out the mechanical fan (the fan clutch is about shot anyway) and adding a small electric fan, as something to do over the winter.

The stock radiator works just fine in my car and there are several sources for reasonably priced aftermarket rads.

Carter

Ever seen this Master card "ad"? Funny stuff…watch out for the hedge trimmers!!!

http://www.redsoxconnection.com/soxmastercard.wmv

Ric

victorhall wrote:

[quote]Hey guys,
Any idea on what is involved in converting the older style (pre-89) cars over to the newer style cooling system?

I’m been eye-balling this cheap radiator upgrade:
http://www.nexternal.com/bimmerworl/Product657

With the added cooling, you could ditch the mechanical fan…Most people will give their left nut for 1-2 HP…I won’t comment on what I would do.

Thanks in advance!
-Vic
SO #325[/quote]

AFAIK, you need to swap to the later style water pump, the metal crossover pipe that runs in front of the engine, the rad hoses, the coolant reservoir and the rad. Pretty sure that about covers it.

Bret.

Wouldnt that be a contradiction to the basis of spece30 rules. I mean if the car doesnt have a cooling problem, why do the upgrade. If the car has cooling issues that can’t be solved by less expensive engineering then I’d say go for it, my philosphy is " if it’s not broke don’t fix it."

I left out one upgrade, you can get rid of the stock fan and replace it with an electric. That would be a cheap way to lessen the engine load. I saw an electric fan at Pep Boys for $39 yesterday. I’m going to check it out when I get over there again.

I’m going to have E36-late E30 Rads on sale next month for 150 bucks.

Post edited by: robweenerpi, at: 2005/09/19 20:46

bmwbadboy wrote:

What about just using the aux fan for the a/c that was attached to the condensor? I was thinking about re-installing this over the winter and removing the mech fan (minus the condensor itself, of course).

Thats an idea we should check out!!

bmwbadboy wrote:

I am running that configuration now. I took out my air conditioner last year and my fan broke before the summer. It works, even in the heat of the summer.

On the paddock, I turn on my blower and push the air conditioning button. The fan works when the button is on, and turns off when I turn off the "air conditioner."

Highly recommended and very inexpensive.

-Steve

This is a very common thing to do on JS E30 M3’s, I did it on mine. Jump the resistor wire to get high speed only on the aux fan and it should work simply by pushing the AC button. There are also euro brackets which relocate the stock aux fan directly in front of the rad vs it sitting several inches forward. Parts are cheap, about $20, easy install. Not sure if they would be legal for SpecE30 but seems like it, best to check. We’re going to install puller fans on the engine compartment side. As someone mentioned in a different post you can get those things at Pep Boys, Murrays, etc for like $40 or so, great inexpensive solution.