Charcoal Cannester Removale

In Spec E30 can you remove or plug off the charcoal cannester? What would it matter either way if anything? I see where you can replace the fuel tank with a fuel cell and that would eliminate the cannester and system.

Vegas Vogel

You can remove the charcoal cannister. Since it is part of the fuel tank vent system, it is best to replace the cannister with a small filter. There is no advantage that I know of in having or not having the cannister.

I was always under the impression that it was not legal to remove. Where does it talk about the fuel vent and being removed. I hope it is as I want to remove mine.

Michael

there was actually a discussion on this previously… The canister is used as part of the system by the ECU… If I remember correctly. Removing it would - or might hurt performance. Those Germans are pretty smart and don’t waste a lot of time on useless parts.

At some point the DME sucks fuel vapor from the cannister while simultaneously leaning the mixture via the injectors to compensate. I’ve seen this in the DME’s injector mapping. I don’t know when this occurs tho.

It happens during cruising. Not idle or full throttle. It is not likely to ever happen on track except maybe a cooldown lap.

The previous owner removed the cannister from my car. Replacing is on my to do list, but I’d rather not re-install unless I have to. Jim L., Where were you this weekend and what rule says we can remove the cannister?

Four weeks ago my wife fell and broke her hip. It has been repaired and she is doing well, but hasn’t recovered enough yet to spend a weekend alone.

Jim,

Sorry to hear about your wife! I hope she heals quickly and we get to see you at the track again soon. You were missed this weekend…

so sorry to hear that jim, best wishes for a speedy recovery

DME ???

Digital Motor Electronics. It is what BMW calls their ECU or computers that control the engine.