Car wiring harness delete / rewire

I know there was a thread on here a while back on cleaning up and/or deleting the un-needed wiring in the car harness. For those that want to clean up the harness and delete the instrument cluster, has anyone documented this today? Anyone mapped that out?

I’d like to get to the bare minimum needed for the engine/DME and run some basic wiring for the lights and engine start.

That would be really helpful to me as well if anyone has done it.

I think everyone who has done it myself included has forgotten the details and didn’t document anything. I don’t know if all the cars had active check system, but that is the main culprit for useless wires. For every wire that is necessary there are two more for the active check system.

Unwrap the harness, clean the black goo off with solvent and start tracing wires. The interior dimmer knob works well to control a helmet blower and possibly a cool suit pump. I wish I had thought of that earlier because I had to run more wires. It is probably best if you install everything you want to add to the car like cool suit and helmet blower and everything so you can re-purpose the old wires and switches.

I stripped the harness about the same time that I installed the IQ3 but later on added a light that goes out when the alternator is functioning, a low water pressure light, a cool suit and a helmet blower so I had to string a new nest of wires and a fuse block. Don’t do this as a gutting the car project. Put it at the bottom the list of things to do after the first season of racing.

The chassis harness I recovered with cheap split tube wrap and electrical tape. The engine harness I used rescue tape http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CO7G19LEgrYCFelaMgodHHYADw. I would say it is pretty awesome stuff.

I hadn’t heard of “rescue tape” before. Cool.

The rescue tape is a lot better than the Army “chafe tape” we used, which was the first I had heard of self vulcanizing tape.

Now I know wtf BDAR stands for. Lol.