Car Selection

Looking for advice on car selection. I am considering buying a streetable E30 and then building it over time, possibly sorting the car out at HPDE’s, etc. before installing full safety gear, etc. Are there cars that are the most preferred (or avoid) in terms of engines, options, etc? I have decided to ahead and focus on 2 door cars with manual trans already installed, but are there other preferred models that would allow me on an equal plane from a competitive standpoint or avoid headaches later? For instance, although simple, I got some good advice that metal bumpers are a little more durable than plastic.

I have built and raced oval track cars over the past 25 years or so, but gave up on that madness to enjoy DE days in my Porsche for a couple of years, and have attended the Panoz school at Road Atlanta. I live in Birmingham, AL., just a few miles from the Barber Motorsports Park, so having a car that is versatile enough for DE, HPDE, autocross in the beginning is important. I don’t have the time these days to do a complete build up, but have the funds to pay a good builder for the major items, and would prefer someone in the area.

I remember reading about an Alabama based BMW 3 series performance guy in GrassRoots Motorsports a couple of years ago, but can’t find the article, so if anyone can help with advice on contacts here, that would be great.

Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated. The folks that I’ve met in Spec E30 so far have been very helpful and seem to sincerely be interested in building the “fraternity” of E30 participants.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chappy
:blush:

This isn’t enough of a difference between models that anyone seems to care. The only thing worth mentioning is the bumpers, and you are already aware of that. Early bumpers tougher, later bumpers prettier. Early air dams are a little hard to find. The fuel starvation issue which is kinda a pita is more of an early car issue I think.

After seeing a few plastic bumpers get splintered, my ugly early bumpers have grown on me.

There are a few 4-doors around and that can make it a lot easier to work in the back, especially if you have 2 seats installed.

Of course you want to have the limited slip diff (standard on the is, optional on others).

I’ve heard the switch from auto to manual is relatively easy, and the engine in a low mileage auto might could be awesome.

I bought a stock E30 then realized it was a little rusty, and how much work it was going to be to prep it (I bought this when I lived in MD; shouldn’t be a problem to find a no-rust example down here). So I decided to look for a more prepped car, and after a couple months of looking (ebay, roadfly, BMWCCA) I found a nearly complete SpecE30 car. Saved lots of $, time, hassle. So now I’ve got my street E30, and the track-prepped.

I prefer my 4drs, and would not want a 2dr… allows you to carry spare 4 wheels, tools, sunshade, camping gear, cooler, and everything else needed for the weekend. With the rollbar in place, there’s no way I could fit this stuff in a 2dr (I don’t have tow vehicle or trailer). The street 4dr is great for scooting around town with the family.

Only problem on my trackE30 is lack of ABS. Wasn’t a deal-breaker, but I would’ve preferred it.

Good luck!

If you have the funds I recommend buying an already built Spec E30. There are several great options for sale on the boards right now.

The Spec E30 setup is fine for driving to and from the track for DE’s and Autocross. Its basically a stock car with race springs and some bushings here and there. We have one racer in the SE who still drives to and from the track to race.

I would recommend an '88 model (of which I have also). The '88 had all the benifets of the later models but had the big bumpers. What that means is: Larger fuel tank, later front spoiler, single fuel pump, aluminum bumpers, and maybe some more stuff but can’t remember right now.

Michael
Great Lakes Region

There are all levels of built cars available right now… 2 very nice ones in the southeast and one in Indianapolis that could be had for fairly cheap (I think).

I built my own car and am happy I did, but given your situation, it sounds like a prepped car would be a better option. As everyone always says, it’s usually cheaper/easier to go that route and you could be up and running immediately.

As far as what models to get I don’t think the e30 suffers from the year to year quirks that a lot of other cars do. Anything from 87-91 seems to have an equal amount of positives and negatives. If you’re looking to build your own car you may be limited to what’s readily available. The e30s are getting much harder to come by, especially in the Southeast where a lot of people are looking to make track cars out of them. If you find a good one at the right price… jump on it regardless of the year.

I just got my car tech’d and a log book this weekend. I’m still using it for HPDE until licensing and funds permit me to join the Big Boys. I drive it to/from the track for now and it’s not a problem with the SE30 suspension.

I absolutely love my 4 door and am glad it turned up before a 2 door. Far more useful to haul stuff in. Generally less desirable on the used market also, so possibly easier to find for a lower cost. I have no problem with the big bumpers. The ‘fuel starvation’ presented itself in mine, but a replacement in-tank pump solved it.

one word of caution on a two door vs 4 door. I am a big guy 6’2" 250 + and for safety sake I went with a 2 door. The 4 door window opening is half the size of a 2 door and much tougher to climb out of in an emergency situation. 2 doors are also going to have a better resale value.