Can't get second during standing starts

I’m not sure if the problem is me or the trans, but I can’t get second during standing starts at redline anymore. The first standing start last weekend I accidentally shifted at 4500 because I was looking at the back of another car. The second race I tried to get second at redline and it took about 5 seconds of attempts to get it in which may have cost me a podium. I have a Z3 shifter with very tight acetal bushings.

Robert, I recommend you don’t change a thing - just keep doing what you’re doing.
Cliff

Thanks Cliff. Since your such a nice guy I’ll tell you that full tread RA1s are 2 seconds faster at Blackhawk than the RRs. Keep that on the DL.

Excellent tip - thank you sir.
Cliff
aka Mr Helpful

A lot of people are having that issue.

I don’t know the solution, but I will say that modding these transmissions just seems to make them worse. I have a short-shift kit, and all it seems to do is help me shift fast enough to beat the synchros.

this is a common issue, these trannies do not like being shifted hard into second gear. you need to ease it in slowly and it should be ok. not easy to do with a standing start situation.

drive-gear.com

That … and use only Dextron ATF in the trans. Shifts like butter.

I’ve got a red label trans with Redline D4-ATF.