Can I remove this?

So I am now gutting the interior and I have the rules taped to the car. I still have a few questions.

1. Can the OBC be removed? Can the OBC wires be removed?

2. Can the wiring from components that can be removed be removed? Such as wires to the window’s and window controls?, Sunroof wires?

3. Can the check control system be removed? It is installed in something that can be removed. Can it’s wires be removed?

I just want to be sure but as I read the rules all this stuff must stay. Do most people just tie the check control system to the cage?

Thanks,

Michael

I’d say that 9.3.13.22 allows for the removal of the OBC and Check panel. And if you remove a component you can remove the wiring for that component.

9.3.13.21. The interior, including carpeting, seats, headliner (to include the leading plastic panel), console, radio/cd/cassette/navigation systems, OEM seat belts, speakers, glove box door, grab handles, driver and passenger door (front and rear) window glass and mechanisms, heating and cooling system interior ducts, and sun visors, may be removed.

Michael:

The OBC is the "Navigation System" listed above. And the Check Control System is considered to be part of the headliner and it’s components. So yes, they can be removed. Leave the wiring (properly secured) because they are not specifically listed.

The window switches and wiring are considered "mechanisms" listed in the rules so you can remove them.

Carter

Hi Carter,
In several previous clarifications you have said that the wiring to a device is part of the device and hence could be removed with the device. e.g. speaker wires
So, I don’t understand the distinction here.

Are you going to add some of the clarifications you’ve made in the last year to the 2007 rules? I wouldn’t naturally think of the check control panel as being part of the headliner and hence removable, for example.
thanks,
bruce

I am still a bit confused. In 9.3.13.22 in lists "radio/cd/cassette/navigation systems, …may be removed" Now that the OBC is a navigation system and I thought I remember reading on the forum that a system is the entire system. Not just the component. I think this was refered to the radio where the wiring could be removed. So is the wiring for the radio not allowed to be removed? I know the speakers are allowed to go as they are specifically listed.

Next, So the window regulators and all the wiring and switches car be removed. Is this the same for the cruise control? I thougth I remember reading on the forums that the "mechanisims" for the cruise was only the stuff under the hood but that the stock, computer, and wiring to it had to stay.

I just want to do it right. I understand what is the easy way but I want to clean up the stuff not needed to make tracking down problems later easier. I hate to have a bundle of wire tied up under the dash going nowhere.

Thanks,

Michael

Carter,

I guess I should have looked harder. Here is a post about this.

http://spece30.com/component/option,com_mamboboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,12/id,7436/#7436

In this post you claim that a mechinisim is all the wiring and stuff attached.

You also indicated that the radio system is all the wiring and stuff.

So, it would seem that only the check control system wiring must stay as it was not specifically listed to be removed but can be by default with the head liner.

Is this OK? Not trying to cause trouble just want to do it right. Maybe we need a section of clarification.

Thanks,

Michael

Edit: The reason I asked the question was not to ask about the wiring to the radio and such but to specifically ask about the OBC so I searched OBC and did not find anything. Now that the OBC is the navigation system I would have figued all of it and it’s wiring could be removed.

Mike and I are discussing some minor wording issues for the '07 Rules. Nothing earth shattering but give us a couple of days to get back into our regular lives and we’ll post the Rules.

Carter

Sounds great. I am sure everyone wants to only do what is legal. If possible it would be great to have them posted before this weekend when I guess most people will be back in the garage.

Michael

Any word on when the new rules will be out? I now have the interior gutted and just wondering what to do with the wires and OBC before I reinstall the dash.

Thanks,

Michael O.

ilateapex wrote:

[quote]Any word on when the new rules will be out? I now have the interior gutted and just wondering what to do with the wires and OBC before I reinstall the dash.

Thanks,

Michael O.[/quote]

I’m in the same boat. Stripped my interior and and an getting ready to send to Ellingsworth for the cage. My understanding from these threads was that wiring that led to equipment that was no longer installed could be deleted. Sounds like that might change which would be pretty devastating to people who have already removed the wiring.

Yes, I need to get with Mike on a few items but nothing is going to be devistating. I know you guys are eager to get your cars finished but you won’t see anything that will cause you any major grief.

We’ve been building cars for a few years and no one has had a major issue with component wiring…and your wiring status isn’t going to win or lose any races.

We’ll get it done soon.

Carter

Would it not be safer to remove the wiring for the components that are no longer installed? Seems to me less unnecessary wiring would also mean less to short/tangle/catch fire/etc.

I can’t remember a single time when Spec E30 officials checked for wiring…but in four years of Spec E30 racing, wiring has never been a problem.

Carter

Hey guys,

I taking all this a part right now and i want to confirm that the ruling on Check Panel wiring still stands. Ie, it needs to stay put.

I saw a pic somewhere of someone who relocated the Check Panel down to the console near the ash tray. I assume that isnt entirely legal? I would sort of like to keep the panel and thatd be a perfect place for it.

Officially, you should stay within the Rules but I highly doubt that any Spec E30 official is going to tech Check Panel locations.

:wink:

Carter

If the wiring has to be left in the car, can it be coiled and relocated to a point lower in the car?

I don’t recall the rules specifying it, but mine is coiled and stuffed into the kick panel hole. I also coiled and zip tied some excess wiring to the dash bar behind the center stack.

Thread from the dead!

I’m working on my car right now, and came across this thread. I would like to know if this was settled. I didn’t see it in the rule book. Then again, I’ve read it so many times already I could have glazed over it.

I’ve got wires hanging everywhere and would like to do something about it rather than just zip tie blitzing the car.

Seems like live wires with power running to them might be a saftey issue, unless you can pull a fuse that only affects certain wiring. I know on some aspects this is possible, but not all the interior stuff, especially when you get behind the dash.

Foglght wrote:

[quote]Thread from the dead!

I’m working on my car right now, and came across this thread. I would like to know if this was settled. I didn’t see it in the rule book. Then again, I’ve read it so many times already I could have glazed over it.

I’ve got wires hanging everywhere and would like to do something about it rather than just zip tie blitzing the car.

Seems like live wires with power running to them might be a saftey issue, unless you can pull a fuse that only affects certain wiring. I know on some aspects this is possible, but not all the interior stuff, especially when you get behind the dash.[/quote]
Remove any wire that doesn’t serve a necessary function. No one’s going to care. Just be careful about it. It’s a bummer to cut out a mess of wiring and then find out a week later that the car won’t start.