Cage Inspection Hole Locations

So reading the CCR it states that 3/16" holes need to be made in each of the required bars for wall thickness checks. I would assume that means 4 holes: main hoop, diagonal bar, rear bar, and door bar. Can I drill all these holes on the passenger side or do the door bar holes need to be on the driver side? Where did you guys drill your holes?

Tut -

If you know who you will go to for a logbook, I’d ask them.

If you don’t know who will inspect it, the safe thing to do is to bring a drill and punch to the inspection and let them tell you where they want the holes.

Yeah I was going to contact the Mid South and Southeast tech inspectors and ask them. I don’t really have a shop anywhere close to get an inspection and logbook unfortunetly.

On the inspection form it asks that we check for at least 3 holes. That is typical SCCA too I think. I normally see them in a door bar on passenger side, in the main hoop on passenger side or on drivers side under cage number and in the diagonal near passenger side.

The way the CCR reads you would need a hole in every bar required. That is like 10+ bars.

After saying all this, when I had my car first inspected I just had the drill and bit and drilled where told.

Yeah I don’t have a battery or electric powered drill, so I would like to have the holes drilled before heading to the track. Good to know that it sounds like holes on the passenger side are allowed.