Cage builders in Indy?

I’ve read several rave reviews about Mark McMahan’s work, but Akron is a fur piece. I mean this is Indy for Pete’s sake, there have to be a hundred guys here. I just need to find 'em.

Wait for Simon to chime in. He lives there and knows the scene. Also, Scott Berkowitz of GTS Fame if you can find him should be able to direct you.

Definitely McMahon in Akron, OH. Its worth the tow, he is also cheap for the quality of work he provides. Rob if you are in Indy you are welcome to stop by and see my cage. You can see more pics here.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/simonh01/Spec%20E30%20cage/

Thanks Simon, I’ve seen pics of your cage before. I’m hoping for a safe, functional cage. Yours belongs in New York’s MoMA. But point taken, I’ll plan on the trip to Akron. I’m in Carmel. Will PM you to see about a visit.

Talk to Eric Meyer at Meyer Motorsports. He has a lot of contacts. You also have AIM tuning on Gasoline Alley. Hell, there are a ton of great fabricators down Gasoline Alley. Don’t know anything about AIM other than I have seen some of their Spec Miatas.

McMahon is very good and you can’t go wrong with him.

I live in Fishers work in Carmel if you just want to get together to talk Spec E30 or racing or whatever shoot me an email.

How much did your cage cost?

I think 6 years ago it was around $2300, don’t quote me on that as I don’t remember. I also had some other stuff done as well (sunroof welded, door panels added). Quality to cost ratio it is practically impossible to beat a Mcmahon cage.

I had mine built locally here in Indy by one of the fabricators at Don Schumacher Racing. The welds look like artwork. I’ve had several tech inspectors crawling around drooling on the thing and asking who did the work. I paid about $1700 but didn’t get the full disassembly, reassembly, and paint services McMahon typically provides. You’re welcome to come over and have a look. PM or e-mail me. I’d like to hear more about your Arduino adventures too so drop by if you get a chance. I’d also recommend crawling around Simon’s cage too so you can get a different perspective if he’s amenable.

I didn’t look to closely when I got in you’re car but my first thought was wow that’s what a chrome-moly cage looks like. I wonder what that costs. I have a driver’s side nascar bar and some extra diagonals plus removal of the roof cassete via plasma cutter but I paid 1857$. You’re car also had some stout gusseting and better welds on the x-bars. I would definitely take it to Rob’s builder. I don’t think you need to ever paint a chrome-moly cage. It looked well oiled when I got in.

I was worried I would fail the logbook inspection for bad 360 welds to the main hoop by the roof. The inspector said that was normal for most cages. He said they cut holes in the floor and drop the cage through to tig weld near the roof. I finally answered the mystery of how the hell you could or would want to tig weld a cage. I got my logbook from midnight hotrods who seamed to be expert cage builders just west of Milwaukee. To far of a drive unless you’re on you’re way to road America. Got my cage built in NC by a vw racer in a car port.

This guy is doing it right–1 DE event and already planning the cage work!