Cage Builder Resource Thread

Sam Neave is the man! If you are within a days drive (or want the best) go see him!

He build me an awesome cage.

The PA tagged car you saw was probably mine (tag: SPEC E30). It is a white 2-door. I got it back from RRT just before Christmas. They did a super great job on the cage. I am thoroughly impressed with the whole package from the welds to the design to just the way the whole thing comes together. It was a tick on the expensive side, but I also had them do a number of “optional” things like paint the cage, install all my belt mounts, and foot protection. There were several factors which lead me to RRT

1. Distance - It was only a 1.5 hour drive
  2. Comfort - I had talked to them in the past about a cage and good a really good feeling that they knew their stuff
  3. Timing - I was able to schedule it well in advance and it worked into the calendar nicely

Like you mentioned, I spent a lot of time doing some prep work with gutting the interior and all. I didn’t get a chance to fully prep everything (such as removing the seam sealer, so that added to the cost). Though I did take out the sunroof cassette.

Bottom line, I’m happy, I feel safe, and I can vouch for RRT.

I have some pics of my build here: http://photos.vexate.net.

I just got the suspension done and am now working on the misc interior safety items.

kioneo wrote:

good thing, because it isn’t legal to remove the seam sealer (or are you just referring to the insulation on the floors?)
cheers,
bruce

Very nice! +2 on what is the seam sealer you’re talking about?

When I say seam sealer, I am referring to the gunk on the floor right where the plates for the cage get welded in. Removing the small amount just where the cage attaches is required to get metal on metal contact.

No, I didn’t remove all of the seam sealer from the entire car.

After reading my post, it sounds like I mean the sound deadening material, but that was all removed.

The seam sealer removed was just that behind the mounting plates as in this picture:

I am a relatively new lurker considering building an E30. I have a general question about cage rules. I was looking at tomzzy #55 pics. Looks like a very good build. There is a picture in the trunk of the two tubes welded to the trunk floor. I noticed they are not connected to the shock towers. Is there a rule prohibiting this?

As with a strut tower brace, wouldnt there be an advantage in locking the cage to the suspension points?

in an e30, only the top of the shock is attached to the towers, with the spring pushing on the floor adjacent to it. So, the top of the shock tower is not very important, nor is a strut tower brace in the rear. (cars with coilovers would be different)

As long as you abide by the mounting plate and angle rules, terminating the rear down tubes anywhere is fine.
cheers,
bruce

dbryant61 wrote:

[quote]I am a relatively new lurker considering building an E30. I have a general question about cage rules. I was looking at tomzzy #55 pics. Looks like a very good build. There is a picture in the trunk of the two tubes welded to the trunk floor. I noticed they are not connected to the shock towers. Is there a rule prohibiting this?

As with a strut tower brace, wouldnt there be an advantage in locking the cage to the suspension points?[/quote]

dbryant61 wrote:

[quote]I am a relatively new lurker considering building an E30. I have a general question about cage rules. I was looking at tomzzy #55 pics. Looks like a very good build. There is a picture in the trunk of the two tubes welded to the trunk floor. I noticed they are not connected to the shock towers. Is there a rule prohibiting this?

As with a strut tower brace, wouldnt there be an advantage in locking the cage to the suspension points?[/quote]

I mount all my rear tubes to the floor next to the strut towers. The corner is probably the strongest place and you won’t see any difference in the regidity of the chassis. Plus the rear sway bar, shocks tower, and springs are all located right in that area.

Here is a place in Savannah GA; Carter Racing

How about Piper Motorsport in Dulles? They have a long history and a pretty good reputation, from what I hear…

those places look like they do alot of good work. How manys of you build your own?

I think I will try to DYI my cage.

I’ve started putting them on a map. We’ll see how it works out. Anyone with a Google account can update it… Please?:laugh:

Hi Jamie,
I don’t see a way to edit the location of the map pins
bruce

You must be signed in to google. your username will be in the upper right corner.

Just above and to the right of the sidebar title ‘Roll Cage Builders’ there will be a small button that says ‘edit’. Clicking this will display tools inside the navigation window. The hand will let you drag the pins around. The pin icon will allow you to add pins. single clicking a pin will allow you to edit it. clicking the pin icon inside the description window will let you change pin color.
Save your work by clicking the button where ‘edit’ used to be.

I got tired last night and kinda threw darts at CO!

Failed post. Sorry

I have a guy building my cage right now. He is pretty much duplicating Gasman’s (Steve). He is interested in doing more of them and asked me to put the word out. He has done some cage work on dirt track cars, and is an extremely good fabricator. I got a look at the ladder rack he made for his truck and every weld was smooth and pit free. He did a stainless table for Steve’s outdoor kitchen and he was very happy with the work. We make our own ladder racks here at work and it was way better than anything we did. He told me I should get my car back in 2-3 weeks.

Anyhow his name is John Williams and he is in Thompson, Ga, about 30 minutes west of Augusta and 1.5 hours east of Atlanta. Let me know and I’ll put you in touch with him.

I added him to the Google map as well.

John

Anymore in NJ/PA/DE area?

I have been researching NY/NJ/PA cage builders for a while.

Here is an ok list. http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=23593

I think i am going to end up with either a bolt in cage or taking it to Paul Poore, the guy that builds the Spec Exhaust.

Paul has reasonable prices and I have seen 2 cages he has done in e30s that looked good. Almost all other shops in this area want $3500 + for a cage. I have talked to BMWCCA and SCCA guys as well and alot say that they just buy the pre-bent weld in cages and Hire a local welder to do the hard work.

I am even toying with the idea of towing my car to the THE ROLLCAGEGUY http://www.rollcageguy.com/ in Ohio. I hear nothing but raves about his work and When I called him he quoted me the lowest price for a cage. Now that gas prices are cheaper it might make since to make the trip. (I used to live in OH, so I have other things to make the trip for)

i’ve seen kalani’s work and it looks good but mcmahan is supposed to be the guru. i too am considering towing the car to him.