Bump drafting out of class cars

After the Saturday race at RA, the 944 director informed me that one of his guys was pissed at a SpecE30 type for bumping him in the rear. I didn’t have to go far to find who’d done it. It was me.

I’d provided a bumpdraft on the back stretch to a 944. I saw that a bump would let him pass his buddy, so I figured that in the interest of 944/E30 bonding, I’d help the guy out. It was gently done because he had a plastic bumper. He passed his buddy and I smiled a good samaritan smile.

But instead of him being grateful, he was kinda pissed. He hadn’t expected the bump, he was a relative newby and it startled him. My rookie year there was a casual conversation here re. bump drafting. I was pretty darn surprised that some folks thought nothing of banging into each other at high speed. Now I look back at that and laugh at my naivete’, but at the time I was mortified. So it’s easy to understand how bump drafting can make folks upset.

I hadn’t bothered to watch for a signal from him that he wanted a bump-draft, I just assumed. I should not have assumed. I found him and apologized.

If the out of class driver doesn’t signal you for a bump draft, don’t do it. I’ll make sure that the Miatas and 944s know that if they want a bump they need to signal it, otherwise we’ll assume that they don’t.

That was me and it was all good. I guess I was just confused because 1 we had been told no out of class bump drafting period and 2 it was unexpected and I have never had that done to me before. Looking back it was appreciated and next time I’ll know to signal for it and what to expect. :smiley:

Also on a side note we were told it was a Spec E30 class rule that there was no out of class bumping.

The only other cars that we should consider bump drafting are Spec Miatas and 944s in my opinion. Bumper alignment and closing speeds may likely be an issue on other cars. I recommend this be a standard topic of discussion in each drivers meeting so we know what is coordinated for that particular weekend. I suspect that most Miata drivers are like us and will always welcome a nice bump in the rear but Scott McKay will be the first to say that you should never go tapping anyone’s ass without consent.

lol. That was hilarious.

What is the signal for “bump me”?

Som

[quote=“Som” post=81133]What is the signal for “bump me”?

Som[/quote]

??? will work.

If both hands aren’t available, do the Kansas City Chief’s Tomahawk wave in front of your mirror and that should be pretty clear that you would like a tap in the behind.

[quote=“Som” post=81133]What is the signal for “bump me”?

Som[/quote]

Do the Kansas City Chief’s Tomahawk wave in front of your mirror and that should be pretty clear that you would like a tap in the behind.

This is the most appropriate signal:

But you can use Rich’s suggestion if both hands are unavailable.

And for posterity’s sake, don’t Google “finger in hole” unless you’re prepared to see some things.

Tomahawk Chop, plant the back of your helmet in the seat and wait for the bump. When you have had enough bumping or get near the brake zone then signal with a wave off (Rock Concert Movement #5). And when your done show the guy some thanks with Rock Concert Movement #2, #4 or #7.

http://www.mtv.co.uk/blue-man-group/videos/blue-man-group-rock-concert-movement-2

Watch some of Sandro’s video’s. He is the master of hand gestures.

[quote=“Barrosco” post=81136]This is the most appropriate signal:

But you can use Rich’s suggestion if both hands are unavailable.

And for posterity’s sake, don’t Google “finger in hole” unless you’re prepared to see some things.[/quote]

LOL I spit coke through my nose!