Broken Shifter Carrier - having trouble removing

I’ve removed the engine and transmission mounts for better clearance, but I only seem to be able to move the retaining clip in the figure below about 1/4-inch (not even, probably). As a result, the pin that secures the shifter carrier to the top of the transmission is hanging up. Does anyone have a tip as to how to do this?

Harbor Freight makes a nifty little tool that is actually designed for hoses. Get one!! In lieu of that, a smallish screw driver beside the inside ear over which the holder lives and pry enough to disengage the tab. A lot easier said than done:laugh:

There’s a reason we call that the bitch clip!

As you have probably figured from picture 3, the task is to rotate the clip to the vertical position so that you can withdraw it. Two small screwdrivers and hold your tongue just right and the Baader method will work fine. One to relieve tension of the clip teeth and the other to rotate it up.

After you successfully get it off, throw it as far as you can and replace it with a 13mm bolt and nyloc nut. Much less hassle in the future.

Thanks guys. I had seen folks refer to “bitch clip” but didn’t realize that’s what I was dealing with. I’ll keep at it

Trying to add picture.

I had to fix this last sunday. My right side motor mount melted and when my exhaust got caught backing up on the trailer it tore loose the remaining poly motor and trans mounts and broke the shifter in the exact same spot.

After chucking my exhaust clamps and fully welding my exhaust I couldn’t find a new part online and the aftermarket options were overbudget so I made a akg style bolt in carrier using the old plastic clip in socket. I’ve been using the z3 lever so it may not work with the factory one, but I made it from a steel plate and an 1.5" ID pipe. The clips on the socket ended up in the wrong spot to use so I glued it in place with rtv. I put 3 tacks on the bottom to keep the socket from sliding out that way.

I also made new uhmw motor mounts and acetal trans mounts. I ordered the proper diameter so all I had to do was cut them to length on the table saw and drill the center hole.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=7C17E10677C1F1B5&resid=7C17E10677C1F1B5!296&authkey=AKozKD0UuMdBBOU