Brake line failures

Starting to wrap up a new build. After hearing about a recent E30 wreck at Sebring, I’m focused on making the braking system as new as possible. Im going to rebuild or get rebuilt calipers and a master cylinder. I’ve already replaced all flexible lines with braided lines. What about the hard lines?

I recently had a friend of mine lose his brakes in his 06 F250 because the hard line in the middle of the truck rotted out. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and I guess its possible to rust from the inside out. What about fatigue? Has anyone had or heard of any issues with hard lines failing?

Ray

Really tough to replace the hard lines because they aren’t sold “pre-bent” any more. You have to bend them yourself. I’ve heard of a couple people have their local hydraulic shop custom fab some (non-hard) long lines out. If I had to replace hard lines, and mine are as goobered up as any, I’d check out that idea.

I have to replace the hard line on the rear trailing arm because I noticed that it has a kink in it as if something sharp landed on it. Im going to take a hard look at the main line going from front to back. If I can pull it down in one piece and copy it bend for bend on the garage floor, I’ll try it. I think this car was sitting outside on a non pavement surface which would deteriorate metal parts faster than normal. I don’t want to be thinking about it non stop. Plus I’d like to install an adjustable proportioning valve at the same time.

Ray

gutenparts has a full replacement brake line kit for cheap check it out

drive-gear.com

VERY, VERY, VERY rare that a steel line would fail without impact on the line. You change your brake fluid so you keep moisture out of the system and you can see what comes out of your calipers. As long as you have your AN lines long enough and routed properly enough that they don’t rub, you should be in perfect condition.

You can’t do this for a SpecE30 car.