best engine oil to use???

I switched from 5-30 valvoline to castrol 15-50

seemed to have lost a little top end speed, but then again i want what’s left of my “race” engine to remain healthy.

what is preferred in engine oils??

what about synthetics??

thanks for your thoughts

I use 20w50 Mobil one. 5w30 should only be used in cold weather. 15w50 or 20w50 you will be fine.

I have a hard time finding 20w50 mobile one, but i can normally fine Royal Purple 20w50 at Pep boys so that is what I use.

I would defiantly run 20w50 i ran 10w30 int the parts for a little bit this winter, because that is all i had at the time, and i noticed an increase in oil burning

Peakracer.com wrote:

[quote]I have a hard time finding 20w50 mobile one, but i can normally fine Royal Purple 20w50 at Pep boys so that is what I use.

I would defiantly run 20w50 i ran 10w30 int the parts for a little bit this winter, because that is all i had at the time, and i noticed an increase in oil burning[/quote]

They always have it at my local Advanced, but I hear good stuff about Royal purple!

How long are people going before changing the oil?

Jason

I may be crazy - I run Castrol 10w60, and change every 2 events, and send the oil out to Blackstone…

Since OIL = RELIGION, my choice will come across as blasphemy.

I use Walmart house brand(Tech-something) 20W50. $7.89 for a 5 qt container. Since I do about 40 track days a year and I change oil about every 4-6 track days, I can’t afford anything more expensive.

It has held up for about 1 1/2 yrs (60+ track days plus 18K daily driving miles) so far.

I think Mr. Junky is tougher than I am.

Wal-Mart Super Tech (I think it is called) is not a bad oil. I am pretty sure that it is bottled by Conoco for Wal-Mart and it meets all the minimum requirements that any name brand oil does.

I use Amsoil 10W40.

In general synthetics provide a bit of a cushion over mineral oils in racing applications. Synthetics withstand high heat (piston rings) and low pressure (long corners) situations better than mineral oils and such situations are common in “showroom stock” racing. I blew up a 944 on mineral oil 10 years ago and after doing so I learned that “everybody” ran synthetic. I swithced to synthetic after that and have had good luck since.

If you don’t run an Accusump (or some other constant pressure device) I think synthetic oils (in the engine, gearbox, and diff) are cheap insurance.

Finally - Relative to how long to run the oil. Used oil analysis (like J Black does)is the right way to determine useful life. Otherwise to be safe, I’d say 10 track hours on mineral oil. 20-30 hours on synthetic.

FWIW - I am an Amsoil Dealer and offer discounted prices (equivalent to Mobil-1 prices) and free delivery to all spec E30 racers in the SE and FL.

Don
www.lubedealer.com/dstevens

I have been running Mobil 1 15W-50 (they don’t make 20W-50, at least according to their website) but I’ll be changing to Valvoline VR1 20W-50 soon. I had good luck with that in my Porsche and the oil pressure stayed up a little better throughout track sessions. It’s non-synthetic, but held up pretty well for me in the past. I believe it has a high zinc content which helps lubrication even under lower pressure or flow situations. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but it was half the cost of Mobil 1 and worth it to me to give it a shot.

thanks for all the info

i will have to “go to the mountain” and digest all this

If you are “going to the mountain”, don’t forget the bible.

Of course since OIL = RELIGION, there are other bibles for different religions too.

jblack wrote:

I looked up Blackstone. Interesting. I think that I’ll give it a try.

How is Red Line? I hear a lot about them and Royal Purple. Haven’t picked up either yet, but I was planning on Red Line for all my fluids.

OriginalSterm wrote:

Your right no 20w50 mobil one, I’m using 15w50 mobil one, could have sworn it was 20w50. oh well.