Best Crank and Rod Bearings

Whats the preferred type/brand coating for engine bearings. I’m having my brother build a motor and I think its the last thing I need to buy. I was just going to buy the ones that IE has but I’m open to some reviews.

For anyone who thinks coated bearing are questionable I suggest you reread the definition of replaced in the regs.

I didn’t think coated bearings were legal in SE30.

Oh no secrets out. I knew there would be at least one.

To do this right you measure the journals and assuming they aren’t worn out of spec you pick the “color” bearing that gives you the correct clearance. See the Bentley manual or the TIS.

so even when the rules say coating with a oil sheading material is prohibited? I know it says bearings my be replaced but I would thing they cant be coated? Or is that just how im reading it. Im about to be building a race motor and would like to use coated bearimgs but want to stay within the rules. A little clearification would help. Thanks in advance.

+1 for coated bearings. They’re more durable and in common use across the class. I would get the coated bearings if anyone asks I’d them “Yessir my bearings are coated. I called it 20W50”.

I’ve lost a lot of races and I can guarentee you it wasn’t because the other guy’s bearings were coated.

+1 for coated bearings. They’re more durable and in common use across the class. I would get the coated bearings if anyone asks I’d them “Yessir my bearings are coated. I called it 20W50”.

I’ve lost a lot of races and I can guarentee you it wasn’t because the other guy’s bearings were coated.[/quote]

Yes I do agree that coated bearings arnt going to win or lose a race just wanted to be sure before I get the more expensive bearings. Thanks for the quick response cant wait to get the motor going and my car out in some hpde’s even though thats a long way out:(