Battery Boxes and ballast

11.4.9 Battery
The battery shall be securely fastened to the car. No Bungee cords or rubber cords may
be used to function as the sole hold down mechanism. An electrically non-conductive
material must cover the positive battery terminal. Any battery located inside the driver’s
compartment should be fully covered and firmly secured to the chassis (or tub) in a
marine type battery case. True dry cell batteries may be mounted without a surrounding
case, however a case is still recommended.

This is the rule I was referring to which doesn’t say much about fuel cells.

========================================================================================

How would a 125# steel battery box ever be considered a “marine type battery case”

[quote=“ilateapex” post=63639]11.4.9 Battery
The battery shall be securely fastened to the car. No Bungee cords or rubber cords may
be used to function as the sole hold down mechanism. An electrically non-conductive
material must cover the positive battery terminal. Any battery located inside the driver’s
compartment should be fully covered and firmly secured to the chassis (or tub) in a
marine type battery case. True dry cell batteries may be mounted without a surrounding
case, however a case is still recommended.

This is the rule I was referring to which doesn’t say much about fuel cells.

========================================================================================

How would a 125# steel battery box ever be considered a “marine type battery case”[/quote]

A simple search on Jegs or Summit can show you some stainless steel battery cases. They probably aren’t 125lbs. but then again I can make it myself for far less than buying one. I don’t see any restrictions on it, it just has to be “marine type.”

Part of the point is that there’s no reason to have a 6lb. hold down rule when I can put the ballast wherever I want.

Regardless, I got a ruling so I’ve made other plans.

Will you share exactly what that ruling was? It may help us all to understand a common interpretation on the rules.

Also, did the regional directors come to an agreement or are we going to have various “rulings” in different regions?

Will you share exactly what that ruling was? It may help us all to understand a common interpretation on the rules.

Also, did the regional directors come to an agreement or are we going to have various “rulings” in different regions?[/quote]

From my understanding:

1. What a regional director may discuss with you is not what will possibly end up being your fate if protested or in tech.

2. It does appear there may be various rulings, unless an issue is brought up before a race event, at which time the regional director can forward the request to the board and get a ruling.

[quote=decision]Rule 8.16 limits the “battery hold-down system” to 6lbs. A reasonable interpretation is that the system includes the box in this case. Therefore, I’d have to declare your box illegal if protested.
[/quote]

Don’t agree with it, but it doesn’t matter.

Also, did the regional directors come to an agreement or are we going to have various “rulings” in different regions?[/quote]
I hope I’m not speaking out of line for the directors, but it seems some clarification of what happens behind the door is appropriate.

This was discussed at some length by the regional directors and a consensus was reached. I suspect that there may be a rule change forthcoming about what does and doesn’t constitute ballast. Which is really what is at the heart of this.