Ballast?

Show me your ballast setups.

I’m light for TTE, and need some ideas about how to add the weight.

BTW: I weighed in at 2747 with me in the car and half a tank of gas!

TIA.

Greg

What do you need to weigh?

I’d suggest going to a used sports equipment shop and buying cheap old weights that you can bolt to the floor. Spare tire?

I would say about 2800, the E30 weight is 2855, but I have some points to play with. If I can get up to 2800lbs with half a tank of gas, I will be fine. I can’t really run less than half a tank anyway, but that is a project for the off season.

I already planned on putting the spare back in any idea what it weighs?

I was thinking the same thing about weights, but how do you bolt it to the floor. Do you have any pics?

87isMan wrote:

[quote]I already planned on putting the spare back in any idea what it weighs?
[/quote]

25-35 lbs depending on wheel/tire combo.

Greg for spec e30 you’ll want to STOP NOW!

You are perfect at 2747 and a half a tank of fuel. Start each race with it full of fuel. In a 30 minute race you’ll lose 30 pounds (don’t ask how we computed that rule of thunb), and weigh-in will give you some margin for error.

The added weight of the fuel is strategically right where you want the weight—over the rear wheels.And the full tank helps minimize fuel starvation problems.

Actually you may be able to remove more weight (for spec e30) as you add the 15lb cool suit…

Regards, Robert Patton

You beat me by a few depending on the level of fuel. I put mine on the scales last week. 2600 even with the car being 6 gallons low on fuel. Add me at 175lbs and I’m just over your weight. That was with the power windows still installed in the car and the passenger seat, brackets, and harnesses.
I guess when I install the fire systems and a cool suit that will add even more and at that point maybe we’ll pull the windows out, or leave them in, whatever.

My wife said I was crazy worrying about 20lbs here and there, and it couldn’t possibly make a difference. I told her it wasn’t about whether it made a difference, it was the enjoyment of trying to get it as close as possible to the minimum weight. It was an “engineer” thing I guess.

John

I just typed a long reply, but it does not keep me logged in for some reason when I use Firefox so…

Cliff notes:

If I have to take aero points for my is valance and lip spoiler, I need to free up 2 points at my current weight. Easiest way to do that is to add 30lbs. If my spare weights that much I will be fine, if not I might just bolt a weight down with the spare.

Can I strap a 5-10lb weight through the sub belt in my passenger seat?

Greg.

I guess I was using my high level of math skills when I computed this before, I should be okay. Tricky Abacus!!

So I have to take Aero points :evil:

Anyone have an early model i lip? I might just remove the is parts for this event. So if anyone has one let me know!!

Cause If I don’t take the aero points I can add the 30lbs, and run a chip and still class in TTE!!

I think I will definitely remove the is parts. I see lots of your cars not running the early is valance. Don’t expect it will make a difference, the car is already shaped like a brick.

Just take off the spoiler and run a bare valence. It has been done before.

I didn’t think you had to take points if the part was stock - i.e. if you have an IS, and that is the stock front airdam, you’re good.

If I recall, the stock door panels are a point per side, and they weight a helluva lot less than 30#.

Pretty unlikely that you could pass tech using a belt to fasten ballast, and for good reason.

Age wrote:

[quote]I didn’t think you had to take points if the part was stock - i.e. if you have an IS, and that is the stock front airdam, you’re good.

If I recall, the stock door panels are a point per side, and they weight a helluva lot less than 30#.

Pretty unlikely that you could pass tech using a belt to fasten ballast, and for good reason.[/quote]

Yeah I guess I was dreaming about using the belt, I am going to bolt all the weight down with the spare in the trunk.

I am using the alternate method for weight points. Much easier than adding up points for all the misc. parts removed. this way I can weigh my car set my Min. competition weight and be done with it.

Straight from the horses mouth:

“you will have to take the aero points. TT takes the base model and adds all the OEM upgrades (as a Vette guy I got killed)…”

Jeff

If you put the spare tire in be prepared for your car to handle totally differently. I had to change my sway bar setting to compensate for all the weight in the rear.