August Mid-Ohio

Guys -

We need some video.

Don

https://vimeo.com/47463969

Here’s Saturday’s race. Made the wrong decision to keep the rain tires on. Didn’t effect my finishing position, there were 8 other really fast cars I was trying to hang with. Had a blast, great to see everyone. Thanks Michael for your hospitality. Will post Sunday’s video soon.

https://vimeo.com/47463969

Here’s Sunday’s race. Ist ever standing start:laugh: Pretty good start … but those other 8 guys/cars are fast. Had the correct tires on for this race. Can’t wait to do it again.

http://youtu.be/0yuD09TwYeo

Here’s Saturday’s race.

Great drive Cameron :slight_smile:

http://vimeo.com/47481993

As painful as it is, here’s my Saturday video.

I would really like to upload my Sunday video. Does anyone know how to edit videos to change the contrast/color to make the video better? Inside the car is great, outside looks like a white blur.

Youtube has some pretty nifty features that you can use. They had an antishake filter that I used on my one video that makes it look like I was actually driving on a flat piece of track.

Would also be very curious to see Cameron’s video of Sunday.

mannnnnn Ryan. That was such a bad race for me hahah. I might put it up on Youtube on private and send you the link.

I agree…Those daggum Miatas sure raced you un-neccesarily hard. The good news is that you should not have to worry about them in next month’s championship race.

Good Job and good luck next month.

Don

mannnnnn Ryan. That was such a bad race for me hahah. I might put it up on Youtube on private and send you the link.[/quote]

lol, I didn’t think it was bad.

Actually I thought the 3 of us had a pretty good battle going on for a while.

Come on, post it up…

mannnnnn Ryan. That was such a bad race for me hahah. I might put it up on Youtube on private and send you the link.[/quote]

lol, I didn’t think it was bad.

Actually I thought the 3 of us had a pretty good battle going on for a while.

Come on, post it up…[/quote]

Its uploading to Youtube now. It estimates 264 minutes until it’s uploaded though. I’ll post the link once it’s up.

I agree…Those daggum Miatas sure raced you un-neccesarily hard. The good news is that you should not have to worry about them in next month’s championship race.

Good Job and good luck next month.

Don[/quote]

Unfortunately we have the 944s which I’ve had just as much trouble with. The racecar doesn’t have Porsche eater on the front for no reason :evil:

Here’s Sunday’s race. I hope the new shifter fixes the 1st to 2nd gear problem…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oa-uL_U-ic&feature=youtu.be

Argh, can’t see this at work. Will look at it later tonight after karting.

NASA Great Lakes Spec E30 Mid-Ohio August 2012 Race Report

9 Spec E30 racers descended upon Mid-Ohio for the last event before the NASA Championships are held at the very same track. Those in attendance where Dennis Barker, Cameron Bullard, Rick Dravecky, Ryan CieChanski, Simon Hunter, Sean Louisin, Anthony Magagnoli, Michael Osborne, and Kyle Smith.

During a summer that has been mostly dry, Mother Nature decided to order up some rain just in time for Saturday’s racing action. Qualifying was set in the wet, with most competitors running wets. Bullard set the pace with a 2:10 followed by Magagnoli. CieChanski showed he can wheel a car with the best of them by qualifying 3rd on slicks. Barker place 4th followed closely by Smith, who rounded out the top 5. Dravecky, Louisin, Hunter, and Osborne finished out the running order.

The weather continued to play games as the cold mist turned to sprinkles just minutes before time to grid, making tire selection critical. With a break in the clouds to the west, most of the field decided on drys. As we took to the track for the pace lap, we were greeted with a mostly dry track.

Saturday’s race was a rolling start behind the PT and Spec Miata’s. The wave of the green flag saw both Magagnoli and Barker in the outside lane get a jump on Bullard and CieChanski on the inside. The Spec E30 field quickly caught the PT field in the breaking zone for Madness, allowing CieChanski to get back by Barker. As the group was splitting PT cars through the esses, Magagnoli lead the way with Bullard and CieChanski fighting for 2nd.

After a strong start from 7th, Louisin moved himself to 5th, pressuring Barker as they worked through traffic. The gap between the 2 grew and shrank as they work through traffic until Louisin got a good run out of the keyhole, used the draft down the back straight, and performed a text book pass on Barker going into the right hander. The position was short lived as Louisin lost the position the very next lap after getting stuck behind a slower car going into the keyhole. Barker was able to pull a bit of a gap through traffic until he performed a bold passing maneuver going into turn 1. While trying to pass 2 slower Miatas, he went to the inside making it 3 wide down the front straight. While he completed the pass, this put him the wet portion of track under the bridge, causing him to spin, and sending him to last before getting out of the wet grass.

Back to the front, Magagnoli was in the lead over Bullard and CieChanski until he was pushed on to wet pavement at the end of the back straight. He managed to keep it out of China Beach and back on track in 3rd. Magagnoli was able to catch and retake 2nd from CieChanski, but the checkers flew before he could get to Bullard.

The finishing order was Bullard, Magagnoli, CieChanski, Louisin, Smith, Hunter, Osborne, Dravecky, and Barker.

Sunday saw a clear sky, warmer temperatures, close competition. Qualifying showed just how competitive this class is becoming with 5 guys qualifying within a second of one another. Magagnoli lead the way with a 1:43.7 followed by Bullard, CieChanski, Hunter, Osborne, Barker, Louisin, Smith (just .03 behind) and Dravecky.

The standing start saw a great start by Osborne from 5th to 3rd on the inside of turn 1. Magagnoli took the lead from pole as Bullard again struggled to grab 2nd with a known bad syncro. This allowed CieChanski and Hunter to slip past as Bullard battled side by side with Barker until Bullard took the position on the inside of the keyhole. Lap 2 saw Osborne get loose exiting turn 1 allowing Hunter and Bullard to slip past.

Further back in the field, the battle for 6th started to develop as Barker, Louisin, and Smith ran the first few laps nose to tail. Misfortune struck Barker on lap 4 as his lower radiator hose strangely popped off going into the keyhole, dumping water on his tires, and causing him to slide sideways in the middle of the corner. Louisin and Smith split the sliding Barker with Smith taking the inside and the position away from Louisin. Thankfully Barker quickly noticed there was a problem with his car and parked it what is possibly the best seat to watch the esses at Mid-Ohio.

Back the front, Magagnoli was on fire, setting fast lap after fast lap as he pulled away from the field. The battle for 2nd was worth the price of admission as you could throw a blanket over CieChanski, Hunter, and Bullard. Lap after lap they went side by side, swapping positions until ultimately Hunter took 2nd for good with an awesome outside pass over CieChanski that lasted 2/3 of a lap! This allowed Bullard to slip inside of CieChanski for 3rd. It was short lived as Bullard slid sideways braking for the turn into Thunder Valley. His quick trip to the gravel cost him dearly as he fell back to 5th behind Osborne, who was able to hold Bullard off in the closing laps. Simon finished 2nd, then CieChanski, Osborne, Bullard, Smith, Louisin, Dravecky, and Barker.

No one had anything for Magagnoli as he sped to the victory, resetting Hunter’s 5 year old track record at a 1:43.168 and letting the SpecE30 community know that the Great Lakes racers will be tough to beat when the NASA Championships roll into town come September.

If anybody got any good photos from this weekend, please send them my way. I am going to summit this write-up with photos and a short vid of the Ryan-Simon-Cameron battle for the digital magazine.

Denny, you have found your calling.

Um, no sir. I’ll have found my calling when I finally beat you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks.