Anyone racing at Sebring next weekend (SCCA)

It’s a great price for the weekend, only $185.

sir_gary wrote:

Wow, that is CHEAP!
We won’t be back from turkey time with my folks until late Saturday night - have fun for us =)

PS… we’re still enjoying the souvenir we brought back from Sebring last month :cheer:

Does your new cat have a name? like Sebring Cat?

I guess I’ll have to get the track record for Sebring changed. I turned a 2:48.45 :stuck_out_tongue: plus about 5 other laps in the 2:48s. :woohoo:

We had 65 cars for Saturdays race, which I finished mid-pack. I beat the other ITS E30 but got whooped by an ITA E30. Its was a 87 325e that laps at 2:35s. The sad thing is, it’s now a charcoal brickette. During Sunday’s race, it and 3 other cars crashed into the tire wall at turn 1 and caught on fire. The fire caught the tire barrier on fire. The fire red flagged the race and after 30 minutes they called in the real fire department. The wall was so destroyed they called off the rest of the event.

Got some new body damage :angry: thanks to a moron in a Miata who dived bombed me in turn 3. I should have the video of the race and fire on my website (www.bmw-victory.com) by tomorrow.

sir_gary wrote:

[quote]Its was a 87 325e that laps at 2:35s.
[/quote]

I have seen these cars before (white with blue trim?). They have been running them for quite a few years. I don’t understand how they can get 2:35 out of a “legal” ITA car. 2:35 is a front running ITS time.

Anyway - there is lots of fun racing to be had regardless of who you are racing with. I am glad it was not you in the wall.

I’m looking forward to running with you (and the Blacks) some day soon.

Also, although I am a born and bred Buckeye, I am rooting for the Gators this weekend.

Don

sir_gary wrote:

[quote]Does your new cat have a name? like Sebring Cat?

I guess I’ll have to get the track record for Sebring changed. I turned a 2:48.45 :stuck_out_tongue: plus about 5 other laps in the 2:48s. :woohoo:

We had 65 cars for Saturdays race, which I finished mid-pack. I beat the other ITS E30 but got whooped by an ITA E30. Its was a 87 325e that laps at 2:35s. The sad thing is, it’s now a charcoal brickette. During Sunday’s race, it and 3 other cars crashed into the tire wall at turn 1 and caught on fire. The fire caught the tire barrier on fire. The fire red flagged the race and after 30 minutes they called in the real fire department. The wall was so destroyed they called off the rest of the event.

Got some new body damage :angry: thanks to a moron in a Miata who dived bombed me in turn 3. I should have the video of the race and fire on my website (www.bmw-victory.com) by tomorrow.[/quote]

Ha ha! Time only counts in spece30 races!:silly:
We did consider naming her Sebring, Panoz & Esperante… But they didn’t fit her. We ended up with eM (for the BMW M models).
Saw the videos, looks like it was a busy weekend!

That’s ok. You can hold onto your record a little longer. :wink: I figured out where I can gain at least another second, so 2:47’s or better are next. So enjoy it for now…:stuck_out_tongue:

Did you see the newest video? Check it out at www.bmw-victory.com

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, saw the newest video…
Looks like it was a crappy day. Kinda puts the dent from the miata in perspective - you’re still running around instead of having a charcoal brick.
That had to suck on soooo many levels :dry:

For anyone with photos or video of the fire, a friend of mine posted this request on another board. I thought I would pass it along here.

[i]My name is Mike Roberts and I am the Safety Director @ Sebring International Raceway. I was on the second due truck to the fire at turn 1 during the SCCA weekend. I was actively fighting the fire so was unable to get any pictures. I am trying to locate anyone that may have been able to get pictures or video of the incident for training. As you might imagine fires of that magnitude under those weather conditions are rare and I want to assemble as much data and different views as possible so I can develop a training scenario as we are always trying to better ourselves.

If you know of anyone who may have been able to get either pictures or video I would love to speak with them. I may be reached on my cell @ 863-381-2641 or mikeroberts@sebringraceway.com

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Sincerely,

Mike Roberts
SIR Safety Director[/i]

Steve D.