Anyone have an Ireland fuel accumulator?

A guy at e30 tech contacted me requesting that I ask around. This is the little plastic thing that holds maybe 12 ounces of fuel and gets plumbed in between FPR return and high pressure pump.

I thought that would be illegal? Am I wrong? We have been having a slight fuel starvation at about half tank even with new pumps and transfer pipe. If this would be legal I think it would help big time.

I think it would be illegal also and I think It’s only for the early style tank/pumps.

I just reread the paragraphs on the fuel system and the accumulator probably is illegal. Folks might care at Nationals, but it’s hard to imagine anyone would care at the Regional level. I had an IE accumulator for a while, never got around to installing it, and then ultimately sold it. IMO there’s a number of possible causes of fuel starvation and not all of them would be fixed by this accumulator so it’s no slam dunk. Also, it would be pretty easy to make one yourself…it’s just a little rectangular bottle with 4 ports.

This fall I’ll submit a rule change request to allow the IE accumulator or the homebrew equiv. Folks ought to be allowed ot give it a try. Starvation is not just a pita, if it unsettles the car at just the wrong time it can be unsafe.

I do think fuel filters are free, therefore, if there is some filter media in the unit it would be legal. Chuck

Well that is a very good point.

That part is a VW OE part, but is now NLA (no longer available). Considering that there is something of a market for that product, I was thinking about having my fabricator make up a bunch in stainless steel. They’d be a bit more expensive, though.

Why not aluminum? Chuck

We have been looking to add one to our E30 Chump Car. Ireland told us they were NLA, but suggested check eBay for metal units. Here is one we looked at (but have not ordered):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170712635853

That one is a little larger than needed so, if someone puts a unit together, please post it up!

For an endurance race, we’d have to add them to our SE30.

I made my own from a 4" X 2" piece of aluminum box section, 8" long. Three 3/8" bungs on top, one on the bottom. Has worked great for 4 years. Chuck

How did you plumb the four fittings into the system Chuck?

Bottom…to high pressure pump

Top…from motor, from tank, to tank.

That way everything is feeding the high pressure pump. Chuck

[quote=“cwbaader” post=64949]Bottom…to high pressure pump

That way everything is feeding the high pressure pump. Chuck[/quote]

What if all you have is the high pressure in tank pump?

[quote=“ilateapex” post=64953][quote=“cwbaader” post=64949]Bottom…to high pressure pump

That way everything is feeding the high pressure pump. Chuck[/quote]

What if all you have is the high pressure in tank pump?[/quote]
Then you are SOL. This device needs to go just before an external pump.

Actually this is a great idea and would it not be possible to convert a late model in-tank pump system to a external type system. If it cures the fuel starvation it would be a worthy investment.

Would this be allowed in the rules? If you where to completely convert to a early model system as the factory intended it. I wonder if you would also have to convert to a early model tank, suppose I will take a look at that angle.

Hmmm. great topic.

You could convert the 63L tank system to the dual pump setup as used on the 55L tank. Using OE or equal parts I’d think it would be a legal modification, though I don’t where you’d mount the high pressure pump. I think that the different tank shape precludes mounting it where it would normally be.

I’ve got an unused Ireland accumulator that’s been collecting dust if anyone’s interested. Just shoot me an e-mail:
Victor at victor-hall.com
-Vic

[quote=“victorhall” post=65222]I’ve got an unused Ireland accumulator that’s been collecting dust if anyone’s interested. Just shoot me an e-mail:
Victor at victor-hall.com

Vic[/quote]

Are you back to go racing?
RP

My man!!! I’m tryin’ to get back to it. I’m signed up for Hyperfest, but probably won’t have everything buttoned up by then - we’ll get there. It’s all just time and money :slight_smile:
Can’t wait to catch up with all you guys.
-Vic

For those of you that have joined the series in the last several yrs…Vic Hall is one of the early SpecE30 types. He goes back to early '06 I think when Mid-Atl was king and SE was just getting started.