Anyone currently running an M42 in Spec E30?

I’ve read all about how the M42 doesn’t have the torque to be truly competitive, but wanted to know if anyone is currently running this engine, and how you are doing with it.

Thanks!

There’s a kid in SoCal that is running Mike Mills 318i and doing quite well. I have to quantify this since he is racing it in the NASA endurance series not within SpecE30 but the car is quite capable. You do get a pretty healthy weight break and on certain tracks (Infineon) we think that it would be advantageous but tracks like Thunderhill with the long straight sections would negate any advantage.

EDIT Fixed car model

vmwerks wrote:

328i ???, OR 318i?

That’s an interesting question - I tracked a nearly stock-engined '95 318ti for many years up and down the west coast - about the closest car you could get to a Spec e30able '91 318is and not be one.

Looking at those laptimes compared to current Spece30 times, I think it’d be good at Infineon, but off-pace elsewhere. The big problem I think would be trying to race and pass with the lack of torque compared to the 6 cylinder e30s. I’ll have to see if I can dig up a dyno for that engine - would be interesting to compare with what se30s are making now.

he was referring to a 318iS.
Rob at Bimmerworld is also building one. (he has posted here)

Do you think the weight advantage is sufficient?

A stock,non-sunroof 318is is under 2500 pounds–with full interior and air conditioning. 2600 minimum weight? A bit much I think.

I’ve heard multiple times that the gearing difference (4.1 v 3.73) “makes up the difference,” but if you’ve driven back-to-back 318 and 325 cars…corner exit is at a severe disadvantage for the 318.

It’s a shame that it’s not in the rules/budget/spirit for 318’s to be able to use a 4.45 rear end.

if there were some cars running, the competitiveness could be assessed better. I guess it is a chicken and egg problem.
bruce

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think the car will get an upgrade to M20 this winter. Sad, I really liked the spirited M42.

Rob already built, raced, rethought the m42 car. He’s going M20 over the winter.

155MPH wrote:

Looking at the rulebook, I’m sure anyone would.

Found it - 125 rwhp 118 tq, with a conforti chip, airbox and exhaust - somewhat more liberal with the bolt-ons even than what Se30 allows. I believe that was good for the 2:16 range at Thunderhill.

Image:

Even if it’s a lot heavier, the M20’s massive power B) seems to be the choice. Do you guys with more experience with this series see the 318is eventually being dropped from the series, or perhaps adjusted to be more competitive?

How about providing a weight break from current to get some cars in, and do what the pros do and add rewards weight mid-season if it makes sense? Then once the cars get a little more developed and some results and weight fine-tuning set the long term rule weight.

Another way would be to just run SU (318s) as a separate points class for the first two seasons until the weight can be equalized and then merge them back together. Maybe could be done regionally?

Just a couple of ideas.

There will never be a substantial number of M42 powered cars racing. They only made them in 91, and we didn’t get that many. There simply aren’t enough of them around to support a race class. You have 5 model years of 325i’s to choose from, it is just a lot easier to find and build a 325

87isMan wrote:

… and maintain.

Mine made 130 wheel with a couple simple tricks. I think I could get another 10-15 out of one. The main issue is torque on gearshifts, the powerband is very narrow and the gearbox is pretty wide. If the car was lighter, it was actually difficult for me to meet weight, and you built a good engine you could run upper mid pack. If you put an E36 gearbox in one with a built motor you’d be pretty quick.

It was certainly quicker in the corners for me. My best times were 2.22.2 at VIR full and 124.0 at Roebling with the car about 150 pounds light. I never cared to pay attention to lap times elsewhere. The Roebling time is decent but the VIR time is way off because of the long straights. For those interested, I even had a pro driver on fresh tires the same weekend. He struggled at the 2600# weight. I was able to pass cars at 2400 but it was hard and they pulled strongly in 5th gear.

robweenerpi wrote:

That sounds pretty familiar :slight_smile: After some time with that setup I found a small case 4.44 LSD from an auto 318ti - top speed was only about 100 at redline in 5th, but it dropped 2 seconds from the thunderhill time. Does look like dropping some weight would help, but I agree the gearing would need to be fixed as well.

And I agree with 87isMan 100% - at least in this neck of the woods you can find 325s a dime a dozen, but 91 318is’ are just plain unavailable.

Guys;

The future of the 318is is being discussed this weekend by the Spec E30 Regional Series Directors and me. We won’t make a decision without alerting the drivers but because of the reasons mentioned here, it will probably be dropped after the 09 season. If we try to make it work, for just a couple of cars in the country, it will be a lot more trouble than it’s worth. Playing with min. weights won’t work because each group will always feel like they are getting screwed, if they are not winning. Look at the Ford/Chevy/Toyota crying in NASCAR. Having one model racing really is best for everyone.

But as always, we will always look at any ideas, thoughts, and suggestions.

Carter
From my HTC Touch