Any updates on builds? Test dates? Track time?

Anyone plan on going out to do some testing?

We are 99% done! Woo hoo!
Put a call into Rennen in Tampa to go ahead and get the tech inspection scheduled and the log book issued. :cheer:

Replaced the starter that I burned up at Roebling - what a bitch! Also did a bit of preventive maintenance - new rotors, new control arms, new LCA bushings. Graphics are on, so now it’s looking like a race car.

Got word last week that the BMW CCA club racing license got the thumbs up and will be heading our way soon :woohoo:

John and I will be down at Homestead with NASA FL next weekend to participate in the Instructor Candidate School and get in some laps on the (new to us) track. (The instructor deal has been pretty intense so far… we’ve had weeks of reading, homework and tests via email before even getting to the track!)
We’re hauling down the race car, as well as the M3 (to use for the ICS only).
Any one else going to make it down for the event?

The plan at this point is to head up to RRR in May - but probably not race. It’s doubtful we’ll have the whole licensing thing squared away by then (minor detail) and if we did, the IFU 2 perhaps wouldn’t be the best idea for a rookie debut :wink:

Not sure of the plan beyond that, aside from a long tow up to Watkins Glen in September for BMW CCA O’fest.

As always… photo progress can be found here:
http://web.mac.com/natblack/Black_Site/The_Race_Car.html

Stay cool…
Natalie

I’m almost done and plan on doing comp school at Barber in June. All I have left is the fire system and master cutoff which should both be pretty easy.

I’m looking forward to getting the car painted and stickered so it will start to look “real”!

I’m testing this weekend at Talladega Gran Prix in AL.

Looking forward to mixing it up in the SE!!!

Matt

Every time I think I am 99% done something new comes up that I did not not know I needed to do. So I am probably in the 95% done range. Maybe I ought to make a list. :huh:

I do plan on racing at RRR in May. I am registered for the sprint races but have not signed up for the IFU yet. I have lots of experience BEING passed.:stuck_out_tongue:

Matt, there are lots of opportunities for track time in FL. NASA FL (Homestead April, Sebring June) Chin (June , Aug, Oct), PCA (Sebring May).

Don

shifter11 wrote:

Matt, where are you in FL? Northern and closer to the SE tracks?

donstevens wrote:

[quote]Matt, there are lots of opportunities for track time in FL. NASA FL (Homestead April, Sebring June) Chin (June , Aug, Oct), PCA (Sebring May).

Don[/quote]

You got it. We need to get Spec E30 rolling in FL :slight_smile: In the early days of the other regions that weren’t a lot of cars to play with, but it sure did catch on!
“Build it and he will come.” :silly:
As much fun as it is to play with the SE guys, I don’t want to have to make the required tow to get to the SE events every time. From where we are in Tampa, Sebring is under 3 hours and Homestead is around 5. Not too bad.
When I start to look at the SE events I end up with CMP (9 hours), RA (8 hours), Barber (9.5 hours) and Rockingham (9.5 hours). RRR is closer at 6-ish hours. We’ll probably be looking at a balance of FL and SE events - get some momentum going for SE30 in FL, and go have fun with the bigger groups in the SE. (And them we have to look at getting in BMW CCA races too!)

We are sooo looking forward to getting out there!
Natalie

Natalie and Don,

I just realized that I sort of hi-jacked the post… I read the threads in an rss reader so I don’t always see what section they came from! I was really confused why everyone was asking where I lived in Florida until I realized I was in the “Florida” section! :huh:

I’m in the same boat as you guys from a logistical point, but on the opposite end of the SE territory. I’m in Nashville, TN so my closest track is Barber which is about 2.5 hours away. Road Atlanta is 4-5 hours depending on traffic and everything else is a pretty long haul.

I may try to hit Gateway, Putnam Park, or even Mid-Ohio for some events… those are all closer than CMP, RRR, and Rockingham although I LOVE CMP having raced there in the past.

It’s been good talking with you Floridians! If it makes it better, I was actually working in Florida when I wrote the original post! B)

Matt

shifter11 wrote:

[quote]Natalie and Don,

I just realized that I sort of hi-jacked the post… I read the threads in an rss reader so I don’t always see what section they came from! I was really confused why everyone was asking where I lived in Florida until I realized I was in the “Florida” section! :huh:

I’m in the same boat as you guys from a logistical point, but on the opposite end of the SE territory. I’m in Nashville, TN so my closest track is Barber which is about 2.5 hours away. Road Atlanta is 4-5 hours depending on traffic and everything else is a pretty long haul.

I may try to hit Gateway, Putnam Park, or even Mid-Ohio for some events… those are all closer than CMP, RRR, and Rockingham although I LOVE CMP having raced there in the past.

It’s been good talking with you Floridians! If it makes it better, I was actually working in Florida when I wrote the original post! B)

Matt[/quote]

Too funny! :lol:
I can see your confusion now. You can join in anytime!

Make an effort to get to Mid-Ohio, it will be worth it. As a native Ohioan myself, I got spoiled having Mid-Ohio just two hours away. Putnam is also a fun track, lots of open space and run-off room. If you can manage not to whack the wall along the front straight you’re golden! Get there if you can too. Also in Ohio is Nelson Ledges, which gets an undeserved bad rap. It’s not luxury racing, but the track is pretty easy to learn and it’s fast! CCA, PCA & SCCA all run events there.

Come on down and join us in FL sometime… Sebring is an awesome track.
And, if they ever finish that track in the Jacksonville area, it sounds like the SE and FL groups are going to try to get together for an event. B)

I’ll be down in Homestead this weekend, hopefully in the future spece30 if I can get it finished up in time. I’ve got suspension, brakes, and engine done. Just need to get the radiator and hoses in, and finish wiring the car and I should be good for this weekend. Still nowhere near race-ready, but I’m not really in a rush now that the May Comp. School down here got cancelled :frowning:

Look us up - we’re the Spec E30 folks with the Red E46 M3…

aperez wrote:

Yeah, I hear you there :frowning: We were planning on attending that as well. John and I passed the BMW CCA comp school back in '03, but were hoping to hit the Homestead school as a refresher and to get a feel for the “NASA way”.
Oh well.

Sounds like you’re making progress. Cool :cheer:
Find us at the track… Like John said we’ll have the red e46 M3 as well as the e30 with us (just with more decals than the last time).

Natalie

I’ll be sure to look for you guys. I’ll be around in the black e30, probably in a garage with a red 95 mustang (a friend of mine who I’m trying to get away from AI and into SE30…) I’ve noticed many tracks around the country you need to rent garages, but just so you guys know it’s first come first served down at Homestead so be sure to get there early so you can claim a garage and then go get in tech line.