Any tips for painting with a power sprayer?

I bought a cheap Ryobi power sprayer and a gallon of blue from paintforcars.com. It’s the kit that includes the reducer, clearcoat, etc.

Ryobi says I don’t need thinner in the paint, but the paint says I do. Which is right?

Any tips for application?

The first time I sprayed it the paint was all running all over the place.

Dont do it, would be my first advice. Go buy a cheap gravity feed spray gun from harbor frieght. Mix the paint just as it says to on the can. If you dont, the paint will be much harder to spray. It may not even get hard. Spray it on in thin coats. Keep spraying untill it shines, or just before it shines. Any more than that you will get a sag or run. Any less than that you will have a hazy finish. Remember not to rush. If you get a run in the clear you can always sand it and buff it out.

If you must spray it with a airless… you better spray very fast. Airless tips are made for much thicker paint. You should go get a smaller tip if you are going to spray car paint.

+1 go with a HF sprayer. There’s lots of things to be careful about.

Use an in-line filter on the air to remove water and oil from the air.

HF sells cone filters to filter the paint thru when pouring into gun.

Start with the the amount of thinner that the paint can recommends, then practice a bit so you can see the affect of different amount of thinners. Adjust thinner quantity based on your experiment.

Practice some more to figure out how to put down just enough paint to get gloss, but no so much to get sags. That’s the part I really suck at.

Be advised that flaws that seemed barely apparent before painting will look huge after painting. That’s another part I suck at.

Do those need a lot of juice to run? I’ve only got a little pancake-style compressor (need it to be small enough to drag to the track).

I got a gravity-fed one from Harbor Freight and I’m still having the same issue. I’m not even fully covering the metal but it just runs all over the place. The paint won’t stay in one place! I must be doing something horribly wrong, but I don’t know what. I mixed according to the instructions (3:1) and as soon as I turned the mix up to get some coverage it just ran all over.

Perhaps it is a surface prep issue. Is the car all sanded down with something for the paint to adhere to. Are you wiping down with wax and greese remover and a tack cloth?

It sounds like you are simply trying to paint the car in one coat. I have painted MANY cars in my life and found that you can’t rush this process. You will need to do at least three coats and never try to cover the car in the first shot. I always do two light to medium coats and then one a little heavier at the end. Turn your air pressure down and take your time. As mentioned above, do NOT use a paint sprayer for painting walls. I always use gravity feed type guns. I have used very high end and very low end gravity feed guns with great success.

As far as surface preparation, I always use a grease and wax remover wipe down just before spraying.

Another thing that you might want to do is check out some Youtube videos on painting. There are some very good “how to’s” on painting cars.

If you would like to talk about your process, PM me with your number.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up taking the fender to a shop for a cheap spray. We’ll see if the rear fender passes the 50/50 rule at tech. If not, then I guess I’ll try again…

That made me burst out laughing.

If the fender is there, it’ll pass. Some of our cars are completely bashed to shit. The actual rule is something along the lines of “50-50”. If the car looks ok at 50’ at 50mph while sneezing, you’re good.