Adjustable/slider Seat Bracket?

Hi All,

I just bought my race seat (Sabelt Taurus XL - what can I say, I’m a big guy!) and was curious about any experience or perspective folks might have on installing it (a side mount seat) with an adjustable/sliding seat bracket. I want to be able to adjust the seat, as I’ll be sharing driving with a friend. The supplier (Wine Country Motorsports) caveated the sale with the ‘we don’t recommend side mount race seats being mounted with an adjustable bracket’.

I know it’s done ( I recall an ALMS race with Patrick Long and Jorg Burgmeister where the slider failed and the seat locked in the full back position and Patrick Long could barely see over the dash), but was wondering what folks thought.

Thanks!

Doug Johnson

Personally, I wouldnt recomend it either from a safety standpoint, but it is done all the time. The real problem with it is the headroom. Im not sure how tall you are but the slider will add a solid inch or more to the overall height of the seat.

Removing the sunroof cartridge helps but your head may be up against the cage once the padding is on it. just something to think about.

You might lose an inch with some sliders, but the Sparco double locking sliders that I have are closer to a half inch thick. And by fabbing up your own low-profile adapters you could get most of that back. If you are going to use sliders, double locking ones would seem to me to be a necessity.

just another thought - if you know you are just going to have the seat in two positions for the two drivers, and you don’t need to switch over quickly, it doesn’t take that long to unbolt and move the seat.
cheers,
bruce

I have a Sparco seat with Sparco side mounts and a sparco slider. I am 6’2’" and with my helmet on I have plenty of heard from the roof and the cage, so headroom is not an issue in an e30 if your sunroof cartridge is gone.

DMoses wrote:

These cars are pretty tall. I have an Ultra-shield aluminum seat and I have the sliders bolted right into the bottom of it with a welded on plate that lines up with the 944’s mounting holes. I took the same seat and set it into the BMW and I felt like a 5 year old. I’m 5’10" and with this mounting setup, I am going to have to raise it up several inches.

Would the sliders pass tech? I’m too close to the wheel for my taste.

if you have an FIA seat (to avoid needing to have a seat back brace) then you are required to have an FIA compliant mount. I hear, but haven’t checked myself, that the sparco sliders are FIA compliant.
cheers,
bruce

BETO wrote:

Sparco sliders are double locking, FIA homologated. We have in both of our cars.
Ed

I have MOMO sliders, MOMO seat (FIA certified), and MOMO seat mounts. I just spoke to MOMO USA, and another authorized distributor, and they told me the sliders are the same as Sparco’s, and none are FIA certified, but they are double locking, and SCCA (the guy I spoke to races there) never had an issue with the sliders as long as the seat is FIA certified.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. My source www.soloracer.com is misinformed. We have not anyone question the sliders and several in MA have them.
Ed