ABS Question

In the spirit of "It it doesn’t say you can, then you can’t"…

I don’t see anything in the rules that says whether an ABS equipped car must have a functional ABS system. The one on my victim can’t possibly work (wires to two of the wheel sensors have been cut) and there may be other problems. If it doesn’t have to function I won’t bother with diagnosing or fixing it.

According to the Spec E30 Rules, if ABS isn’t mentioned and it came on your car from the factory, it’s supposed to work.

At Spec E30 races where I’m the Tech Inspector, I will probably will check other items before checking the ABS function.

Carter

It will be easy to check. You will be the guy trailing smoke into the corners!

I think without allowing a proportioning valve the abs serves as defacto brake balance.

Wouldn’t go on track without out…but I also am not that great of a driver.

You need ABS with the E30. My E30 does not have functional ABS. It has been to 3 track events. I found it impossible to AVOID locking up at least one wheel using threshold braking. I have also had a 318ti on the track which has the same rear suspension as the E30, the ABS was working. It did wonders for braking with the E30. I will make sure my ABS is working before it goes on the track again. I do not want to drive without ABS in a E30. I believe most if not all E30 drivers will tell you the same.

You can buy new wheel sensors. They are about $140 each. I know someone who probably has some sensors to sell at a much better price.

bmwbadboy wrote:

[quote]You need ABS with the E30. My E30 does not have functional ABS. It has been to 3 track events. I found it impossible to AVOID locking up at least one wheel using threshold braking. I have also had a 318ti on the track which has the same rear suspension as the E30, the ABS was working. It did wonders for braking with the E30. I will make sure my ABS is working before it goes on the track again. I do not want to drive without ABS in a E30. I believe most if not all E30 drivers will tell you the same.

You can buy new wheel sensors. They are about $140 each. I know someone who probably has some sensors to sell at a much better price.[/quote]
Ha Ha…I bet you mean me…
I do have sensors

Okay… My tendancy would be to fix the ABS system anyway. So that’s what I’ll do.

Yep, Sean is the one with the ABS sensors!

bmwbadboy wrote:

[quote]Yep, Sean is the one with the ABS sensors![/quote] and Al and Bret as well I am sure

Very early in Spec E30’s life, I raced an '84 325E that did not have ABS. After 10 years (at that time) of non-ABS track duty, I was pretty good with the brake pedal.

However, I was really hustling in qualifying and locked the right front in the chute (fast, downhill right hand sweeper with braking at the end) at Summit. The tire thumped so badly that I went straight to the pits.

My '89 325i has it and it’s a good thing.

Carter

In ITA with my previous car ('86 325e) and with our current car in ITS ('90 325iS)… we weren’t allowed ABS… which was no problem… IMO, i mean yes E30’s are prone to wheel lockup (right rear in the cases i’ve seen) but with some brake modulation (poorman’s ABS) you can brake just as hard and as confident as in a car with ABS…

just my 2 cents

Mike