ABS light on

I rewired dads birds nest behind the dash but now the abs light is on. What did I screw up? I’m sure I missed something but is there a semi obvious thing I should check?

I’m not sure how many things can trigger the ABS light. Certainly a bad sensor will trigger it and a bad ABS relay won’t trigger it. But what about bad ABS computer or bad connection to computer or pump? That I don’t know.

Does the ABS light stay on when you start the car, or does it go out after starting, but then come on once you start moving. The latter means sensor. The former probably means computer or connection to computer/pump.

Lots of guys here know more about abs then I do. Give Rich Bratton, Chuck Taylor or Robert Patton a holler.

If the light comes on and stays on without the car moving, then it’s not the wheel sensors (not that you’d suspect them anyway). The ABS relay is under the dash on drivers side, so for starters check all those wires to make sure you didn’t snip anything.

If that doesn’t pan out, find a copy of the ETK , which has the complete diagrams for all the systems in the car and start ohming out all the wires you can trace.

Only happens when moving. Gonna do the Levie sensor emlination test today.

Odd that would result from an extra snip under dash, but method works. Couple years ago I had failed wires on two wheel sensors and thst showed me which they were.

Looks like both front sensors are not working. Seems odd that they would both fail at same time. Dont see an abs relay anywhere that would have any effect so guess I’ll try and replace them. Suggestions on vendors with quick turnaround?

Auto zone is likely your quickest solution and likely a Durlast labeled OEM or Bosch part. I recently bought some diff speed sensors there and was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box.

None of the places around here have any. Actually on rereading the test it’s the rears that are out.

It could easily be the wiring and not the sensors. Suggest ohming both out to determine where the failure is.

Update: did the ohm test. Right rear had no resistance. Either beating on it to get it out or cleaning it fixed the resistance. Problem solved? Nope. All sensors have proper resistance but both rears fail the elimination test. Also used an extra abs computer to verify. Same thing. Would bad sensors still have resistance?

Replaced both rear sensors (what a pain!) and it appears to be fixed. Fingers crossed.