A few questions about some basic stuff (noob)

My posts here are few and far between but since summer is coming, it’s time for me to tear into my car again and get it in shape to run some HPDE’s.

First up is the brakes. I already saw in another thread that you guys recommend Hawk HP+. They’re definitely good as I use them on my Integra but are there any that are comparable at a lower cost? I know you get what you pay for but I’m a college student trying to race on the cheap.

This also leads me into brake discs. I was thinking of just going with Brembo blanks on all four corners but I know people have found lifetime replacement rotors in the past at AutoZone, etc. (same with a few brands of axles) and I was wondering if anyone stumbled across this.

I’m also getting a replacement windshield since the one has a big crack through it. Do you guys use tint at the top or anything? I need to get it fixed to pass inspection and wondered what the seasoned racers found to be best.

Next up is the roll cage. (This is more long-term planning). The car came with an Autopower bolt-in cage but the position of it sucks for me. My taller roommates didn’t mind it but where the tube at the front comes down and bolts into the floor of the car is in the way of my left leg. I know there is another bolt in rollcage around (I can’t think of the name off the top of my head). What do you guys think I should do? (I think a full cage would be best but cost is a major issue.)

Finally that brings us to the exhaust. The car has an ANSA exhaust which from reading the rulebook is illegal (oh well I’m not going to be racing anytime soon). However, where the cat/exhaust hook together, there is a big exhaust leak. I really don’t feel like tearing everything off and fixing all the flanges if it’s just better to move to the spec exhaust. However, my question is how loud is it? Can it be muffled (silencer)? Also, is anyone having problems driving them on the street? Since I don’t have a tow vehicle I rely on driving to and from events.

Last question- Does anyone know of any engine builders in the Western PA/Ohio area? I might want to rebore/rebuild the engine at some point.

I’ll give you my .02.

For brake pads, the HP+ will work great in DE, but when you start to get some brake fade it is time to move to the ht-10 or equivalent. Rotors are wear items, I get mine from advanced auto for about $20 a piece, you will never be able to resurface rotors under track conditions.

When it is time to do the cage try a Kirk weld in kit, or a EGR weld in kit to save some $. For now leave what you have. Having any cage is better than nothing. when you upgrade you should easily be able to sell your autopower on R3v or Bf.c

Windshield is really up to you, you will probably end up with a banner across the top

The Spec exhaust really isn’t that loud until WOT, so it could be used on the street.

I just finished a 3 year slow build as I made my way through the DE ranks I can think of a dozen things I would have done different. PM me if you have any ?'s

Greg

I wouldn’t worry about the cage until you’re ready for a proper weld-in version. They are all annoying with intrusion to some degree. You just kind of have to get used to it.

I don’t find the ATE or Brembo blanks to be that expensive. Maybe shop a little harder for a better deal. The ATE’s I put on the car a couple years ago now have held up just fine and I don’t treat them nicely. The Hawk pads are worth every penny. Anything comparable will still cost about the same. I would never suggest using anything less than a pad designed for track use as you will burn them up in no time, which is no real savings.

The exhaust is great fun. I personally love the sound. It is a bit loud; there is never any secret that I’m coming or going with mine even at idle, so if you live in a neighborhood with problem residents you’ll probably get calls. On the road it’s not bad until you hit the upper rev range, then it really roars. What you may want to consider is buying the spec system and welding up the front section to rid yourself of the flanges but have another rear section made that permits the installation of a more standard muffler like a Magnaflow or something.

Greg, thanks for offering to help out.
That’s kinda how it is supposed to work, new guys bringing the new guys along, while the old guys complain about how the new guys are so much faster.

Regards, RP

87isMan wrote:

What brand are you getting? I checked AAP online and can’t find rotors that cheap. If they are I’m going to buy a couple sets.

Check this tread.

The March 10% off discount code is ‘MARCH’. Free shipping with $50 or more.

csrow wrote:

[quote]Check this tread.

The March 10% off discount code is ‘MARCH’. Free shipping with $50 or more.[/quote]

Thanks for that! I just ordered two complete sets (4 fronts, 4 rears) for 1.44 less than 1 set of Brembos.

You can check out the porterfield R4-S. There are some comparisons with the HP+ on bimmerforums.
Ed