325es? (noob)

Hi, I am thinking about purchasing a car for spec E30. This is probably a stupid question but is the 325e able to compete in the series? The reason I ask is because I have found an 86’ 325es for a really good price. any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for dropping in. Your question is not at all stupid, but instead of starting a new thread, why not do a “search” on this subject? I’ve lost count of how many existing threads there are dealing with this issue.

The quick answer is e cars are best left for body parts and are a lot more work than you need to do.

Thanks that answers my question.

It depends on your ability to do the grunt work.Do you have access to a lift?

1986 and later 325es cars are a great start for a spec e30. The engine goes in the trash and the body becomes a foundation for your build. Es cars (shells) are cheap. I’ve got 3 that were made into spec e30 racers and a forth on the way.Look for ABS and a round electrical connector under the hood. No ABS and a square connector and the car is only good for body parts.

Search the boards for answers, call if you’ve got specific questions 770-886-2500.

Regards, Robert Patton

Patton wrote:

Say what? You’re building another SE30?!

Not me…I picked up a free '86 es and the gave it to Laura’s boyfriend, Danny. So, in effect, it will be another one in the stable as he does DEs for a while (and looks for employment).

RP

I second everything Robert said. With the '86 you should have the correct engine connector so to build to spec all you will have to do is change the motor to an “i” spec motor, the ECU and diff. Have fun!!! Chuck

Patton wrote:

So does the rear end. I’m building an SE30 out of an '86 325e right now. I don’t think you’ll be successful with anything earlier than '86 model 325e’s. I believe the round connector was implemented then. Verify the car has ABS. As said by others, if it doesn’t have the above 2, keep searching. I’d also look at the price range of the 325e. If you can’t get a clean, straight, rust free car for $500 to free, stay in the hunt.

You’ll spend about $1k for a 325i(s) motor assy(exhaust mani, flywheel, intake, downpipe, etc. will all be needed), ecu w/engine harness and 3.73 LSD. Unless you have a motor that was recently refreshed, you’ll spend close to $700 in gaskets, crank scraper, timing belt,ignition components, water pump and radiator. I also spent close to another $1.2k for refurbishing the head (“good” salvage motor had 3 bent valves and rocker tubes were shot). But for that $1.2k, the head has a new valve job and everything in the head is new except the intake valves and the cam.

Good Luck!