2 Door vs 4 Door

I’m thinking about joining the fun, and have found a clean fair milage 1987 4 door I can get for a good price. It seems that many of you run 2 door cars, are there any issues with the
4 door cars? I’ve run hpde for 2 years and plan on running hpde for another year with the chance that I may try to get my comp license. Then I will set the car up to race. Does anybody have any thoughts on the 2door vs 4door car?

A four door car is fine and may be a touch stiffer than a coupe. Then there’s the bonus of easy access to where the rear seat used to. The only downside that I can think of would be that the car might have a tiny bit more weight up high (rear window regulators & door hardware).

I’ve seen lots of both kinds out there. I think the advantages/disadvantages of each type chassis are basically a wash. I picked a two-door for 2 reasons:

• bigger window for easier exit in a 2 door
  • REAL (production-based) race cars only have 2 doors :wink:

Of course, after the contortions I had to endure to clean the rear window of my two-door at the last race, a four-door seemed brilliant…

YMMV.

Steve D.

I have an 87 2 door and I have a passenger seat. In order to do anything in the back I have to remove a seat to get back there. Is a pita. Many’s the time I wished I had a 4 door.

Buy whatever is available.

Get something cheap - without any rust. We are building our third 4 door. The space is nice for taking stuff to the track. The current TMS and Bimmerworld Koni Challenge cars are 4 door e90s.
Ed

I just bought whatever was out there. Turned out the be a 4 door, so I bought it. Works fine for me. Easy access to the back and stiffer. The weight is no big deal, my car is going to come in underweight either way. Needs ballast

I’ve been very happy with my 4-door over the years. Easy access to the back to fiddle/aim the video camera is a plus.

I’ve since bought a “back-up” E30 to be a race car should the current car ever meet an early demise. I only looked at 4-doors.

Steve D wrote:

[quote]- REAL (production-based) race cars only have 2 doors :wink:

Steve D.[/quote]

I think a couple of the Milner M3s that ran in the ALMS were 4 doors on purpose. :wink: I think there was a wheelbase advantage in the E36.

Seriously to the original post - there is nothing wrong with a 4 door as a platform from which to start. Like Ranger, I also have a passenger seat and in order to get anything (liek spare wheels) back there I have to remove a seat. It is a PITA. A 4 door would be much better in that respect.

My car happened to be an “is” so it had a factory oil cooler, 3:73 LSD, and rear lip spoiler (not that it does anything). The point is, there is merit to starting with an “is” of you can find one.

Lots of 4doors come with the LSD… both of mine did.
With the 4dr, I can carry shade, camping gear, tools, spare wheels/tires and more… everything I need for a weekend at the track. After living with a 4dr, I would not want a 2dr… I know I’m “less sporty,” but I like having more of a “sleeper” look.
B)

Thanks to all that replied.

I bought the 4 door today.

Skippyman

donstevens wrote:

[quote] I think there was a wheelbase advantage in the E36.[/quote] Just like our cars - coupe, convertible, wagon (Euro only) and sedan all are the same wheelbase. E30 is 101.2 in, E36 is 106.3 in. I know this because my 1997 318is coupe is sporting 1998 M3 Sedan side skirts.

[quote] “is” so it had a factory oil cooler[/quote] All 325i’s have oil coolers. ETAs do not.

[quote]3:73 LSD [/quote] Optional on the 325i - standard on the 325is

[quote]rear lip spoiler [/quote] OK got me there. And the plastic bumper is cars had a different front spoiler too.

Net is - 90% of the difference between the two cars you will throw out preping the car… here are the differences:

For 1997:
Limited-slip differential (Good thing)
Rear spoiler in body color (OK)
6.5 x 14 cross-spoke wheels (you will PROBABLY replace)
Front spoiler with cleft in the middle (you will trash)
Side mirrors in body color (No concern)
Sports suspension (you will throw out)
Sports seats (you will throw out)
Sports steering wheel (you will throw out)
And - of course, “is” cars are all coupes. “i” cars can be coupes or sedans.

Of course, other years had different options, but this is pretty close. I HEAR 4 doors are supposed to be stiffer, but who knows. But - I will tell you, 4 doors are heavier. I know we all have to run the same weight, but that does give 2 door folks some more flexibility on where they place things before ballast factors in (like data acquisition and cool suits and the like), and possibly more flexibility building a cage.

jblack wrote:

Where are four door cars heavier? If the weight is placed in the rear, it could be a good thing as long as the CG isn’t much higher…

I love them to much to do this to an iS.

4 Door was my goal, I really wanted to get a 4 door for the ability to use the back seat area and to be able to facilitate cage installation and so many other reasons.

I have a 2 door…

It was cheaper and in better shape than all the 4 doors I looked at…

In the end 2 or 4 door has no impact on the racing…

jblack wrote:

[quote]donstevens wrote:
For 1997:
Limited-slip differential (Good thing)
[/quote]Soooo gonna protest your 97! :silly: