2 build questions - 45mm vs 51mm & fuel lines

So, work continues on the `87 Alpineweiss car, but I have a couple of questions.

#1 - The `87 has 45mm strut tubes. Has anyone gone from 45mm to the later-model 51mm tubes? If there is an appreciable difference, I will upgrade.

#2 - I started to yank my A/C lines today, then noticed that the FUEL LINES seem to tie into the A/C lines. What fresh hell is this? I am attaching a pic.
[attachment:1]2012-11-18_12-13-02_187.jpg[/attachment]

Do I just lop the lines together? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Let’s try that again…

[attachment:1]Weird_fuel_lines.jpg[/attachment]

The fuel is cooled by the ac in the 87is. You can just cut part out and put in some rubber line. I got a line set from IE or Bimmerparts(don’t remember which) and it was the good stuff with BMW stamped on it. The autoparts store stuff that comes in 18" coils is both terrible and expensive.

The 87is should have come with the correct size struts. I think only the early 318 or something had the small diameter ones.

Thank you for the responses! I had thought the `87 iS suspension was different. I am glad to know that it is not!

I will look for the lines on IE’s site,as well as Bimmerparts. I was caught a little off guard when I saw that! My `88 did not have that arrangement…

[quote=“Kingston” post=69421]Thank you for the responses! I had thought the `87 iS suspension was different. I am glad to know that it is not!

I will look for the lines on IE’s site,as well as Bimmerparts. I was caught a little off guard when I saw that! My `88 did not have that arrangement…[/quote]
I think that’s 8mm hose so generic “fuel injection rated” 3/8" hose from the local auto parts store will do. Just beware that most hose at the auto parts store is low pressure stuff so you have to be darn sure to get the high pressure “fuel injection rate” hose.

For some reason my car (12/86 build) had 45mm inserts. I swapped them out w/ the 51mm and noticed a difference. So just double-check yours to see what you have.

Rob, thank you for the feedback! I took my suspension off, and sure enough, it’s narrower than my late model stuff. Inserts from my 88 are too thick to fit in the87 strut tubes. Time to go shopping!

I re-used one of the hose going to the hardpipes on the firewall, not need to buy anything.