Where to buy new / refurbished / used fuel tank?

OK - car is on jackstands, I removed the fuel return line and ran the car until I had emptied most of the gas into a couple of 5 gal cans.

Removed back seat cushion and access covers, unpluged wiring for the pump and tank senders.

Removed my spec e30 exhaust - need to take pics of my e-bay cat in the mid pipe - it sits just forward of the fuel tank - hopefully far enough away to avoid any big booms…

Removed driveshaft - I’ve never had the entire shaft out of the car before so I had to learn about the front attachment system - you only need to remove the 3 bolts holding the shaft to tranny output - there are 3 more that bolt the flex disk to the shaft and harmonic damper - those can stay on.

Removed old flex disk (why is it also called a Guibo? Is it some strange German custom?) Pounded out the 3 studs that hold on the harmonic damper - and threw said damper in the trash. Ordered new Guibo and 6 new bolts & nuts from the E30 guru on E30Tech.

Removed 3 bolts on the front flange of the tank easily. Can’t get to the two? rear bolts with my impact - must use box end and a cheater bar. By this point it was getting dark and the skies opened - washing me out for the day.

Since my shifter bushings and tranny mounts are now exposed, this job has now turned into the gas tank replacement, short shifter, tranny and engine mount replacement job.
Bimmerworld once again smokes my credit card (well ok - I ordered a Sparco strut brace so I could look as cool as you race car guys…)

Tune in next week for more exciting updates. Supposed to snow tomorrow. Somehow I managed to work on this car during our 105+ summer - and now I get to work in snow. Go Figure.

Jim

Your posts always inspire me. We will be in the 50s tomorrow. Should I watch championship games or finish the brake job on my E30. Hmm.

Do Both:

Step 1: Take old TV to Garage (or buy new digital flat screen and hang on garage wall)

Step 2: Connect old TV to Cable (or antenna if new Digital TV)

Step 3: Turn on SEC Championship game

Step 4: Watch Florida GET BEAT by the CRIMSON TIDE !!!

Step 5: Cry in Beer.

Step 6: Wrench on E30…

Truth be told, I really don’t care for either team, but Bama will be easier to beat in the BSC Champ game.

Step 7: Hook Em Horns !!!

Nice job calling it. I have a severe dislike of college football and my school didn’t have a football team. I live in the heart of Bama/Florida SEC homerism, and I hate it. I hope Texas puts it on Bama. Work on the E30 never gets done on Sunday as the NFL and fantasy football are top priority. :smiley:

Well - good thing I decided it never rains here and decided to work in the driveway on jackstands - then it rains every weekend… No work lately - maybe tomorrow night if the weather cooperates.

The good news is I have the right Guibo now (somehow ordered the M3 joint by mistake) and all my short shifter parts are here now.

Does anyone want to pass on their BMW shifter installation tricks? For starters - does the shifter knob just pull off? The Bentley mentions some special tabbed tool to unlock the plastic retaining ring. Is there a shade tree way to do it?

Jim

L8Apex wrote:

The knob on top just pulls off. Be sure to pull really hard to smack yourself in the head. Bonus points for a bloody nose :wink: The retaining ring can be rotated with 2 flat head screwdrivers.

Merry Christmas Eve !!!

The new gas tank is in ! The new gas tank is in ! (for those of you who remember Steve Martin in “The Jerk”.

I have pics of the old tank - the evap/vent line that runs along the top of the tank was rusted thru in two places. The paint was also peeling at the seam on the side, so it may have been leaking there as well. The new tank bolted right up - even more amazing was that the 20 yr old rubber bushings from the old tank could be reused.

The tank was just the beginning. Then I had lots of fun with the shifter. The shifter bushing wouldn’t release the shifter handle from the shifter frame, so I took the entire assembly out. Install was easy by comparing - and boy are the Z3 shifter and new bushing ball nice !!! All that slop is GONE. I just jammed the stock knob back on - but I may need some bling bling for nice new shifter.

Then it was on to the engine and trans mounts - they were a real pain. And after all the trouble I think both had been replaced at some point. Took forever to get the driver’s side engine mount to align and drop onto the stud. And something still isn’t right - the driver’s side trans mount is stretched - and the pass side mount is squished - so something is causing the engine & trans to twist toward the pass side. Any ideas?

I will post my phone pics soon…

Jim

pics…

of old tank and new tank

and tranny mounts - “tall & skinny” and “short & fat”

old tank

more old tank

tranny mounts twisted…

forgot the bling bling… strut tower brace…

Also note the custom hood hood support rod.

I hear the 'dem SE guys like to roast a possum or two for Saturday dinner at the track - I figure this stick would be about right for the job…

:laugh: