Tow vehicle opinions!

Three on the tree? Wow, I’m having a flashback to high school!

[quote=“silence” post=61284]currently i’ve found:
92 Ford F350 extended cab Dually 7.3 Diesel with 100k for 2,000
-or-
95 Chevy 3500 Dually single cab Diesel with no bed and a goosneck hitch for 3k.

Opinions on these?[/quote]To be honest they are the same truck with different names on the front, pick the one that you like the look of :wink:

[quote=“Steve D” post=61281]
I love the BRE-esque paint job on the SE30 but now that I look at that photo I think you should paint the race car with the same scheme as the truck. Next time it needs it, that is.[/quote]

You’re not the first person to suggest that, nor has the thought escaped me. If Kish doesn’t stop running into me, I may have to paint it sooner rather than later.
:stuck_out_tongue:
I’m actually loathe to paint it red. I’ve had a lot of red cars, and when I went shopping for a truck the one rule was it can’t be black or red. Well, you see how that worked out. I’m wanting to paint my motorcycle this winter, and it has blue very close to that on the BMW…it would be real easy to make a BRE Kawasaki, but I think I need to draw a line somewhere.

Maybe if I added a DeVinney splitter to the front of the truck…

[quote=“silence” post=61284]currently i’ve found:
92 Ford F350 extended cab Dually 7.3 Diesel with 100k for 2,000
-or-
95 Chevy 3500 Dually single cab Diesel with no bed and a goosneck hitch for 3k.

Opinions on these?[/quote]

Going back that far with cars from people you don’t know are going to likely be money pits unless they have every receipt since inception. If you work on all your own cars like most gearheads, it lessens the cost, but then you are screwing around in the garage with the truck fixing bs when you could be working on the racecar, or spending time with family/other things.

You will spend just as much money each year on an older truck like that (especially a diesel) than you would to buy a newer diesel with a higher payment. The sweet spot for I’ve found for diesel trucks is the 2wd versions that people only used to tow with so they really only saw highway use and have between 60-150k miles.

1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer fully rebuilt with on V8.

Suprisingly it pulls very well as far as power and handling, however, on the down side, it barely stops. I have been pulling with an open trailer from UHaul while I am finishing up building the car. Once it is finished, I will be looking for a new truck and trailer. As a DD, the wagoneer gets about 10 miles to the gallon so I think it might get about 5 mpg while pulling. Not fun.