ThunderHill 5/19-20/2012

I may have found the real cause of the crash. I believe it may be due to a fuel spill out of Steve’s car. I will be publishing the video once it ls finished. Near the end of the race Steve’s car was still dumping a lot of fuel on hard left hand turns. The fuel also caused Mike Shawhan to spin. Who ever has video, please review it.
Im not trying to put blame on anyone. Just trying to find the root cause.

[quote=“BTM” post=65988]I may have found the real cause of the crash. I believe it may be due to a fuel spill out of Steve’s car. I will be publishing the video once it ls finished. Near the end of the race Steve’s car was still dumping a lot of fuel on hard left hand turns. The fuel also caused Mike Shawhan to spin. Who ever has video, please review it.
Im not trying to put blame on anyone. Just trying to find the root cause.[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense Brad since everyone was running full tanks for the 50-minute race. Good call.

Here is the skinny

http://youtu.be/vwWvWJWl96I

Here is my view

https://vimeo.com/42598166

Thought Deck’s car would spin/slide to the outside, I brake and turn inside. As I touch the grass I lose steering and brake inputs and I am pretty much along for the ride. Unfortunately my car no longer meets the NEW NASA appearance rules (previous rules 50/50, I’d be fine) and won’t be coming back as Dave can clearly see the damage from two feet away.

Sadly the royal chew out and new rules encouraged and created a “blamefest culture” that I have never seen before in Spec E30. It is now a completely different world that I am unfamiliar with. Some really great and exciting, happy things happened this weekend, but that is some what lost, in the depressing, down trodden, insulting, atmosphere that was created after the morning meeting saturday.

People are imperfect. Racing is imperfect. Even at the highest levels of Pro Racing accidents happen every event. Flags are missed, cars are damaged. Racing is dangerous and unpredictable. We must do our best as racers to be smart and make good decisions on the fly, we must create habits and refine our skills for the sake of all, yet, we will not be perfect. To believe it is possible, and implement severe punishment and rules that punish all, is unreasonable. If a Parade is created, POC, BMWCCA, VARA, where there are 30 classes and 33 cars, yes you will have less of the above, but it won’t be racing. In racing, any kind, people get hurt, property gets damaged, it is dangerous. I accept that. I do not accept being belittled, demeaned, insulted, and disrespected.

I applaud the desire to make Racing as safe as possible to a reasonable level. (if we want to create complete safety we would not race) we respect and applaud those special souls who have spent the time and energy and money to be trained to help save our lives when we choose to play at something very dangerous. I thank the corner workers and officials who respond to our playtime and stand in the sun and dust to help us be safe. Thank you for arranging and organizing the 1000s of man/woman hours that go in to putting on these large events. It been a tremendous pleasure. to meet and get to know so many fine, fun, dedicated people.

As all organizations go, it only takes a few events, or a few people to steer the rudder in another direction. Sometimes Management is willing to listen to input and consider other opinions, and sometimes they are not. Some managers believe Dropping a Bomb or Bombs will work, to “shake” things up. Usually small corrections are best, slight adjustments, or sometimes just simply apply the existing rules and allow the system to work.

Sometimes though a “Forum” is not allowed. And then an amazing thing happens, a collective community responds with unintended consequences. A collective mindset is changed. Contentiousness, distrust and anxiety sets in. The spirit of the community is broken, maybe cracked at first, then fragmented and eventually complete disfunction sets in. The fun is lost, the spirit is changed, the community lost. To those who did not understand the community in the beginning, they do not see the loss. They may even say “good riddance”. They walk away feeling justified in their actions, believing they solved the community “problem” by eliminating the community. The results are rarely recognized immediately, by the time they are, it is often too late.

In my opinion Spec E30 racing is some of the very best in the country. Anyone who wants to see how good they really are, races in SE30. With only a couple rare exceptions, I have been honored to race with all my competitors, and proud to call you friends!

Shoe Out…

for now.

Great save/avoid kevin. I like how early you made up your mind where you wanted to go and stuck with it.

I dont see where in the rules that you can remove it.[/quote]
I don’t think anyone’s talking about “removing” it.

Here’s my in car video:

http://vimeo.com/42606031

I don’t think anyone’s talking about “removing” it.[/quote]

In my e30’s, I just pulled the relay, stopped SO much better.

I don’t think anyone’s talking about “removing” it.[/quote]

In my e30’s, I just pulled the relay, stopped SO much better.[/quote]

Guys

Take you ABS topic to a new thread please.

Watched Andy’s video, to my untrained eye, it appears that Deck moved over on Andy & made mild contact that induced an over reaction on the steering wheel…It almost looks like he ran into the back of me…Was there noticeable impact on the right side of your car Andy?

As for the spilling of any gas, my tank was completely topped off for the beginning of the race. Did a 1 lap warm up cause enough burn down of full create a sloshing motion that would result in loss fuel?

Hey Shoe!!

What is it with you getting behind pumpkin, I mean orange, cars? (Sorry, I couldn’t help that one)

Kevin,

Please do not quit because “management” went runamuck this weekend! I also felt belittled, treated as if I was a child with a parent that does not respect his children. I do not treat my kids with such condenscendence and mistrust of taking responsibility for following rules. I do believe in all of the strict yellow flag rules but the 5mph, 5’ rule instead of a 50mph, 50’ rule and repair of past dents that you have is ridiculous. I also believe that changing the passing ,rules of engagement and racing room rules is what can spur more contact and discention in the group.

I have been in the group for a long time and I think that we as a group can bring it back to the way it was when it started and still is within a certain core group of racers in the group. It is our respnosibility as some of the core guy’s to bring all of us back together. I will not put up with constant, unecessary contact from racers not committted to the betterment of our group. We are here to have fun and learn every time we are on track. It is not about winning but about having fun and sharing experiences with our fellow racers. I have won and I have finished at the back and have had an awesome time either way. I had a great race this
sunday with Kevin and we were racing for 13th or 14th. Sure winning and finishing on the podium is fun but that is not why we race!
Well I am done ranting!!!
See yall at Buttonwillow!!!

Scott

Nicely put Scott.
here is my video from the pileup in turn two on sunday, I hope to see all those cars back soon!
http://youtu.be/5ol-DZ2Z748

It was a weird weekend for sure and I dont think the “Talk” in the meeting helped anyone on the track.

The intentions were good, the delivery of the message was terrible. As i said to many people at the track, i don’t think results will follow from the reactive approach NASA is taking on the situation. The officials need to thinking more proactively. If they are unhappy with our driving, then 1) make it harder to obtains a Racing license, 2) Do periodic unannounced rechecks of driving ability. and/or 3) there is a simulator sponsor in our series, maybe require ex amount of time in the sim following penalties rather than making us fix our dents. I personally would feel much better about spending money to improve my race craft if i am making mistakes on the track rather than just hiding my mistakes with new body panels.

If the group is unhappy about were the series is going then rather than continually getting all but-hurt about NASA’s new rules all the time, why don’t we work together as a group to make the series better and show NASA we don’t need to be treated like children.

Larry, Great film editing…
Hey, get off the rev limiter & SHIFT!

DJ, you are wise beyond your years…Great proactive suggestions.

yeah steve i dont know what that rev limiter was all about i rarely ever do that…

Finely got around to putting it together, kind of long for most people but hay it’s a home video and when I’m 90 I’ll have something to occupy my time!

https://vimeo.com/43294038

Fuking awesome drive Bennett…pretty impressive for an old guy…are you sipping geritol in the water bottle of yours or what?:stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t gotten a chance to watch Poppy’s video yet, but I had a pretty good seat to watch from. Poppy’s car gots some poop to it now!

For the Season point, since NASA is slow to publish it, I ran some quick numbers.
Andy’s is leading and I think there is a tie for second place between Ferrario and myself. Wha hooo. Poppy coming up in 4th.

Andy Chittum 120187 SpecE30 664 90 69 100 100 75 90 70 70
Steven Ferrario 134892 SpecE30 605 85 100 65 50 70 80 75 80
BTM Motorwerks 138244 SpecE30 605 80 85 90 90 85 0 100 75
Bennett McMick 131114 SpecE30 587 69 63 85 75 57 58 90 90

Cheers

BRad

Hay Brad,

Thanks for doing the math I’ve been waiting as well, I took it one step further and deducted the mandatory points drops. O’Boy!

AC/525
SF/490
BM/472
BTM/450