Thunder at the Glen

As long as there’s beer and pretty girls there, I’m in. If not, I’ll bring some. Ah, beer that is.

Yeah, there’s already a BBQ in the works.

We have 20 cars for Saturday so far, still a chance one or two more might join us.

I’ll be up there Friday around 6-7, can’t wait for this weekend

Sean
Are there any lunch plans? We are thinking about doing lunch

I should be on site about dinner time Thur. SpecE30 types park in a particular place? There a reasonable amount of power boxes?

Looks like I’m out for this weekend. Been stuck in Spartanburg for work for the past 3 weeks and no chance to get out. Good luck to everyone out there.

See the attached paddock map. towards the bottom of the map where it says “phils tire” there is a building to the left. behind (under in pic) that building there is a gravel area across the road. we normally setup there. it is right by the bathroom and there is water and power. most people dont know about it so lets keep it that way. SE30 paddock!

Drive-gear.com

Mike & I will be there Thurs around 6:00 pm. We’ll secure the usual spot accross from the bathroom.

Ranger, look for us as Andrew described.

Denny and I will be arriving around noon on Friday. I’m looking forward to a fun race weekend. Been working on my engine like crazy the last couple weeks, but have not been able to pin down my issue… 142 ft-lbs and 152 hp won’t get me to the front at the Glen, but I’m looking forward to some good battles, none the less.

Great seeing everyone this weekend. Huge thanks to Pete for helping us get the trans changed on Sunday. He was under the car from when the first bolt was removed to when the last bolt was tightened - massive help. Also a big thanks to the DriveGear guys for the fresh gear box, and Ken from KNS Brakes for his support. Looking forward to next year!

Any race stories?

RP

What a great time. I don’t even know where to start.

Apparently WG makes having a big Sat party problematic so Sean Curran and the Graces fed most of the SpecE30 types 3 meals a day. That helped create a SpecE30 social center, there next to Drive-Gear, and the result was max SpecE30 bonding. For a guy coming a long ways and wanting to meet all the NE guys, it just could not have worked out better. I owe some debt for all that hospitality.

There’s a “lodge” not too far from the track that has awesome beer and is willing to serve beef that really is “rare”.

My tow was 17hrs each way. Left home Wed early evening and arrived back home Monday early evening. I did the Friday track day to learn the course a bit.

I don’t have much in the way of race tales yet. I’ll have to put together my videos so I can remember what happened. FCY dominated Sat, a Red dominated Sunday. I did not suck as much as I figured I’d suck. I was very pleased about that.

The trek home was a little stressful. I had to be home by 6PM Monday in order to pick up the kids from after-school-care. Wife flew out of town this morning. I had an emergency plan where a work-buddy would pick up the kids if I had problems and couldn’t make it. Wife was going to be pissed if I had to execute that emergency plan.

My trailer has a wheel with too much camber because an axle is bent a little. After 7 events I had to replace the tire because the inside edge had worn. It went flat on the way home from RA last month, but it was the one last remaining original tire on the trailer so it had seen a lot of miles before I bought the trailer last year.

I thought about getting the axle replaced before WG, but I figured, "ah hell, that old tire lasted a long time before it failed last week, I’ll be good for another year with a new tire. Well, I was good for 3/4 of a round trip to WG and back.

I was hustling home this morning, the 2nd day of the journey, when I pulled off at the NC/VA line for diesel. The brand new tire on the too much camber hub had a very worn inside edge. I had 2 spares, one new, one old original. I replaced the (new) worn tire with the old original spare. Once I got the worn tire off I noted that it was showing a bit of cord so I was pleased with myself for being cautious and replacing it instead of risking a tire change on the side of the freeway. It took about 1200mi to kill that new tire so I figured I was good for the run home. Running out of time, sure, but still good to go. I upped the speed from 62mph to 70mph.

The old original spare lasted 150mi. That is to say, the entire service life of that tire consisted of 1 state. I pulled off at about the SC/NC border to see how the old original spare was doing. To my very great surprise I found an inflated steel cord carcass with rubber remaining only on the sidewalls. It still held air. It looked like a SS mesh tire. Jesus Christ.

Anxious about the kids and me getting my ass handed to me by the wife, I put on my 2nd spare as fast as I could and hauled ass South. I was anxious that upping the speed from 60-70mph might have been what did the too-much-camber tire in, but at the same time I had to get back to Savannah in time to pick up the kids or it was going to be my ass. I made it, but it was close.

I figure that maybe the old original spare was probably some dry rotted POS and I didn’t realize it. The new spare held up fine.

I averaged 14mpg, I say again, 14mpg, until I upped the speed to 70mph on the way home. 24’ enclosed trailer, Ford 7.3L diesel.

[URL=http://s465.photobucket.com/user/RangerGress/media/Misc%20Track/PaceCar_zpsbd395497.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s465.photobucket.com/user/RangerGress/media/Misc%20Track/6WC_zpsc8e1a4c6.jpg.html][/URL]

Here’s the video of my short Sunday race. Had a great start. Managed to avoid the excitement at the top of the esses, then lost the back end going into turn 6 with Ed Cangialosi filling my rear view mirror. Will post video of my much longer Saturday race tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRkHjzs9xl0

[quote=“Ranger” post=74229]What a great time. I don’t even know where to start.

Apparently WG makes having a big Sat party problematic so Sean Curran and the Graces fed most of the SpecE30 types 3 meals a day. That helped create a SpecE30 social center, there next to Drive-Gear, and the result was max SpecE30 bonding. For a guy coming a long ways and wanting to meet all the NE guys, it just could not have worked out better. I owe some debt for all that hospitality.

There’s a “lodge” not too far from the track that has awesome beer and is willing to serve beef that really is “rare”.

My tow was 17hrs each way. Left home Wed early evening and arrived back home Monday early evening. I did the Friday track day to learn the course a bit.

I don’t have much in the way of race tales yet. I’ll have to put together my videos so I can remember what happened. FCY dominated Sat, a Red dominated Sunday. I did not suck as much as I figured I’d suck. I was very pleased about that.

The trek home was a little stressful. I had to be home by 6PM Monday in order to pick up the kids from after-school-care. Wife flew out of town this morning. I had an emergency plan where a work-buddy would pick up the kids if I had problems and couldn’t make it. Wife was going to be pissed if I had to execute that emergency plan.

My trailer has a wheel with too much camber because an axle is bent a little. After 7 events I had to replace the tire because the inside edge had worn. It went flat on the way home from RA last month, but it was the one last remaining original tire on the trailer so it had seen a lot of miles before I bought the trailer last year.

I thought about getting the axle replaced before WG, but I figured, "ah hell, that old tire lasted a long time before it failed last week, I’ll be good for another year with a new tire. Well, I was good for 3/4 of a round trip to WG and back.

I was hustling home this morning, the 2nd day of the journey, when I pulled off at the NC/VA line for diesel. The brand new tire on the too much camber hub had a very worn inside edge. I had 2 spares, one new, one old original. I replaced the (new) worn tire with the old original spare. Once I got the worn tire off I noted that it was showing a bit of cord so I was pleased with myself for being cautious and replacing it instead of risking a tire change on the side of the freeway. It took about 1200mi to kill that new tire so I figured I was good for the run home. Running out of time, sure, but still good to go. I upped the speed from 62mph to 70mph.

The old original spare lasted 150mi. That is to say, the entire service life of that tire consisted of 1 state. I pulled off at about the SC/NC border to see how the old original spare was doing. To my very great surprise I found an inflated steel cord carcass with rubber remaining only on the sidewalls. It still held air. It looked like a SS mesh tire. Jesus Christ.

Anxious about the kids and me getting my ass handed to me by the wife, I put on my 2nd spare as fast as I could and hauled ass South. I was anxious that upping the speed from 60-70mph might have been what did the too-much-camber tire in, but at the same time I had to get back to Savannah in time to pick up the kids or it was going to be my ass. I made it, but it was close.

I figure that maybe the old original spare was probably some dry rotted POS and I didn’t realize it. The new spare held up fine.

I averaged 14mpg, I say again, 14mpg, until I upped the speed to 70mph on the way home. 24’ enclosed trailer, Ford 7.3L diesel.[/quote]

I want to see video of the toe home haha. Good to hear you had fun see you at VIR

I can’t remember a race weekend I enjoyed more. Weather was postcard perfect. Great food (thanks again to the Graces!) and great company. I was able to significantly improve on my HPDE-like times from last year’s event and dice around with a few others, especially on Sunday. And I’m grateful to everyone who traveled long distances, especially Ranger at 17hrs each way, to give us such a big field. Hope you’ll make the trip again next year.

Scott, the axle can be straightened. Call around to alignment shops and check.

I would first like to thank everyone that took the trip up north and how they were able to bring along some epic weather, great food, and great competition. Rangers road trip somehow gave me inspiration to make some road trips down south to some other tracks in the future. Anyway back to the racing.

Saturdays Race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlZMlTKJ88

Sundays Race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BY_KfNcFM

Chuck, thanks, but I’ve never been able to make axle straightening work. People around here react poorly when I even suggest it. Heck, I had a helova time even finding someone willing to replace axles.

Highlights from Sunday. https://vimeo.com/75927494

Wish I had made it, WG in Sept…perfect time of year, maybe next year.

Al

That Mustang looked like a complete PITA, but nice driven Scott! Those new cameras seemed to work out nicely as well.

Scott, here it is not a problem. I even have e30 rear arms bent back to original specs when necessary. Certainly cheaper than replacing the axle.