The "getting my comp license" thread

For a case of beer I’ll help on Friday, I will be coming off a big weekend at NJMP and have thought about doing Sat/Sun with MA…I live at VIR so it shouldnt be a problem, cant help with the medical, I’m a reverend, not a MD.

Al

He might be able to “HEAL” you, but he won’t tell you to turn your head and cough. He will, by the way, light your farts.

FARTBREF wrote:

[quote]For a case of beer I’ll help on Friday, I will be coming off a big weekend at NJMP and have thought about doing Sat/Sun with MA…I live at VIR so it shouldnt be a problem, cant help with the medical, I’m a reverend, not a MD.

Al[/quote]

For the medical why not just go to a minute clinic at your local pharmacy? I’ve seen that they do camp physicals and sports physicals for kids so it shouldn’t be much different for your license (although that’s a scary thought!).

The comp school is not that big of a deal if you’re prepared. Yes, you need to know the flags. Yes, you need to have a good understanding of the rules, but you probably already know more than you think. And YES, you will fail if you run off track. You’ll only be running about 70% so you SHOULD fail if you run off track! Comp school is actually a very cool experience and is not meant to throw you off. It’s meant to make sure you know what you’re doing in the car and it will actually teach you a few things as well. The exercises seem strange at first, but they are very useful!

You really shouldn’t run into any problems as long as the car is well prepared before-hand. In the morning gas it up, check the lugs and put a good tire pressure in there that should last you through the day (you’re not going to be tuning for that last tenth!). I think the hardest thing is just getting strapped in and buttoned up in a very short time. You’ll be a little stressed, but just practice a few times at home.

Quit worrying about it and go do it. Look at all the yahoos on here that have done it and passed!!! We all want more yahoos to go race with!

I could get a plane jane physical pretty easily. The problem is that at my advanced age (44) I need to have an EKG done, and that mucks up the schedule as they only do those at certain times.

It’s no big deal. I can wait to Feb. Gives me more time and less pressure to get some other things done that I’ve been putting off. I don’t know why you are all so eager to have me beat you.
:stuck_out_tongue:

I was 54 when I did comp. school and honestly forgot all about the medical. Passed the school they asked for my paper work and Im standing there with that o-shit look on my face. We anounced on the pa system, found a doc/racer at the track he checked me over did the paper work and I raced the next day. I beleive the ekg is only recomended at a certain age, I certainly didn’t get one at the track.

I’m baaaack. :silly:

Getting ready to REALLY do this in Feb now, all the paperwork is ready. In reading through the GCR I find mention that the window nets are supposed to be a maximum of 5 yrs old…yet I got my car tech’d last year with one dated '03, and I’m pretty sure I asked the tech guy if they have to be replaced on dates and was told no. The damn thing has never been used, so I hate to buy a new one if it’s not needed, but then I don’t want to not get tech’d in 2010 if it’s going to be an issue. So is the rule book right, or the Mid-Atlantic tech guy right?

The rule book is right as far as I know. I also know some techs are not real strict on window nets. If they want they could fail you for that. They usually do not from what I have seen over the last few years. May be a different story in a comp school situation.

If you do your school with MA and pull that same tech you probably wont have an issue but you never know.

you can always get one at Cdoc at vir. drive-gear.com will probably be down there if you need any help on Friday…