Shifters

Did you make or purchase this^^^ bushing? I’d like one…

I think he said he made it. I am running a brand new OEM one that already comes mounted in the metal plate, but I would be interested in one as well as I don’t know of anyone selling those bushings.

I made it. The idea was to put a snap ring in front to keep it falling out the back but maybe I’ll glue it in with something. I don’t have time for production until spring if ever.

Speaking of shifters I recently aquired my first E30 and a previous owner had installed a shorter throw shifter that is also very short in height.

I really dont like it too much and think it will be a pain on my first track day. I tried going to the local junkyard to find a stock shifter but the only had a couple BMWs and they were autos.

A few questions:

Where is a good place to get the OEM shifter?
Can I get away with just a longer ‘knob’ for more height and leverage and where is a good place to find?
Are those dual shear selector rods a great improvement or mainly marketing hype?

Thanks in advance. Mike

I may have my original shifter. Send me an email and I’ll check my junk box, mxbreed2 at comcast dot net.

I would just try putting a tall handle on it first.

My shift knob won’t stay on. Considering duct taping it on…

[quote=“greywolfe” post=62825]
Can I get away with just a longer ‘knob’ for more height and leverage and where is a good place to find?
[/quote]There’s a number of outfits that sell taller shift knobs. Poke around the usual haunts like Bimmerworld and IrelandEngineering. Also google “jaffster”, and do a search for “knob” in bf.c’s track forum.

Thanks. I just ordered the Jafster delrin long handle along with a spal 16 inch puller fan.

I’ll be on track in DE3 at CMP in a month. WooHoo!!!

I did a ton of research on fans and ordered a Be-Cool unit from jegs or summit after doing a lot of conversion between the metric and American flow rates. I opened the box and inside was a spal 2360 puller or whatever it was I compared it against. I paid an extra 30 over the spal but at least I got the good mounting hardware with it.

The shifter is a lot of money for a piece of plastic. Make friends with your local machinist and you could have a custom one for half that or less.

I finished my shifter and bushings yesterday. Actually my dad made the last three bushings. Instead of messing around with cutting off the worn out pins we just made the bushings super tight.
[attachment=1786]2012-03-0217.33.37.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1787]2012-03-0223.44.31.jpg[/attachment]